cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE and TouchGFX 4.10.0: Resolving compilation issues

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi everyone,

I've removed the previous, textual guide. Instead, here's a video guide on how to get CubeIDE and TouchGFX working on an STM32F746G-DISCO board. I accidentally exported the video in 720p but have created a 1080p version. Leaving both links here because the 720p version may have useful comments and resolutions:

1080p: https://youtu.be/VOs2LYO7wSA

720p: https://youtu.be/xZ0pPhQCQUY

And here's the project i created and modified:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000At0N95SQE/cubeide-100-touchgfx-4100-working-project-inside-stm32f746gdisco

(NOTE: This project does not have the modifications from our STM32F746G-DISCO/CubeMX article).

Best regards,

Martin

95 REPLIES 95

Hi @HP​,

The article is simply a quick list of issues we've uncovered here. It's not a complete guide, yet, since development is ongoing to fix existing issues. I actually mean "could", but i'm not being very clear about what i mean - I'll fix that. You could actually leave the command blank, but the designer will complain about it but still do it's job.

Step 6: Yes, you _must_ exclude those folders from the build or otherwise you'll have multiple definitions. We're doing this because CubeIDE just gobbles up every cpp file it can find and some of those are simulator related. That's sometimes the nature of Eclipse based IDEs to not have specific filters like other IDEs have.

We're bound by the deliveries and deadlines of CubeMX/CubeIDE. All i can tell you is that when they release new versions we do the best to keep up with any issues.

Hope that helps.

/Martin

Nilesh Badodekar
Associate II

Hi @Martin KJELDSEN​ , Can I follow the same method to use STM32L4R9-EVAL board with 1315A LCD?

Is there a reason TouchGFX is not enabled with CubeIDE on this platform? Only STemWIN shows up.

Thanks!

There's a good reason, yes. That combination is not supported yet from CubeMX side. It will be in version 6.0 at the end of the year - I know that's not very encouraging :\

/Martin

Morgan1
Associate

Hi Martin,

I've followed the guide, the only (minor) issue I found was the path

\Middlewares\ST\TouchGFX\touchgfx\lib\core\cortex_mx\gcc\

for me is actually

\Middlewares\ST\TouchGFX\touchgfx\lib\core\cortex_m7\gcc\

I can test that most of the steps have been successful by checking what issues they cause when omitted, however unfortunately I still have a problem:

arm-none-eabi-g++ -o "car3.elf" @"objects.list" -ltouchgfx-float-abi-hard -mcpu=cortex-m7 -T"C:\Users\Morgan\STM32CubeIDE\workspace_1.0.0\car3\STM32F746NGHX_FLASH.ld" --specs=nosys.specs -Wl,-Map="car3.map" -Wl,--gc-sections -static -L"../ \Middlewares\ST\TouchGFX\touchgfx\lib\core\cortex_m7\gcc\" --specs=nano.specs -mfpu=fpv5-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -mthumb -Wl,--start-group -lc -lm -lstdc++ -lsupc++ -Wl,--end-group

c:/st/stm32cubeide_1.0.0/stm32cubeide/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.make.win32_1.0.0.201904231117/tools/bin/sh: syntax error: unterminated quoted string

make: *** [makefile:75: car3.elf] Error 2

"make -j4 all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

Regards,

Morgan

HP
Senior III

I must be doing something fundamentally wrong when I try to create this project.

Would you (@Martin KJELDSEN​  be able to make a short video showing how to set this up? I'm going crazy about this.

Hi Morgan, yes, the x was supposed to refer to the core (e.g. x = 4f or 7). Sorry that wasn't more clear.

Seems like there's an error in the generated command, but there are no unterminated quoted strings. Not something i've seen before (with my limited CubeIDE experience) and it doesn't seem like you have weird characters or spaces that need escaping either. Strange issue - i'll have to see if i come across it myself at some point - Can you tell me the exact steps you tried?

/Martin

Hi,

Argh. Sorry you're having these issues - I'll see if i can get the time to do a short video on this.

Which issues are you having now?

Well that's the problem, I'm not sure where things go south.

The different guides all use EWARM as the target environment which is not a possible solution for me since I'm trying to prepare a workspace for students who will not be able to use IAR for example. even with the Kickstart edition the code limit is 32k so that won't work (current workspace is about 48k)

CubeIDE seems the way to go but I would imagine the same problems with missing BSP files apply here?

There seems to be a very specific order in which to generate the MX code and the TouchGFX project files to make the system work. It could also be that somehow I'm missing some files or dependencies on my computer but I'm not good enough with eclipse to know my way around to those specific menus. Therefore a video would solve a lot of my problems because I can just pause that to keep up.

If you can find the time it would be greatly appreciated! It could be a single one-take in Danish if you'd like that better. It doesn't event have to be public. I would be interested in doing a video guide afterward with the same content (if you have some specific rules for creating content which I don't)

I'm writing the playbook for the video as we speak, so at least that'll be ready. So, i'll hopefully provide an STM32F746G-DISCO project and a video that explains how to get from A to Z.

Okay, i've reproduced the issue on my own machine - investigating.