cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow gauge

DDi S.1
Associate III

I am using a custom gauge, but the movement of the needle is always not very smooth.

is there any way to improve this?

9 REPLIES 9
Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello @DDi S.1​ ,

Can you provide screenshots or share your whole project, so we can have a better understanding of what you call "not very smooth" ?

Thanks,

/Yoann

Yoann KLEIN
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX
Hi Yoanne. I made a short video to make you understand what my problem is. I am using the latest version of touchgfx (4.20). My custom board is based on a micro STM32F469NIH6 The display is a 5" 800x480 tft powertip I use a 25Mhz clock as indicated on the datasheet. I was wondering if there is a way (using the RAM cache) to have a smoother motion than the Needle Best regards Domenico Il giorno lun 28 nov 2022 alle ore 09:42 ST Community ha scritto:
Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello,

Could you share your video in this post ?

I cannot find it.

/Yoann

Yoann KLEIN
DDi S.1
Associate III

oops!

Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello @DDi S.1​ ,

I still cannot open the video, sorry.

Can you maybe share a .avi file ?

Sorry for the inconvenience,

/Yoann

Yoann KLEIN
DDi S.1
Associate III

Hi Yoann,

Here is the video in .AVI format

Thanks for your patience.

Domenico

Hi Yohann, Still not seeing the video? I uploaded in .avi format Best regards Domenico Il giorno lun 28 nov 2022 alle ore 10:03 Domenico Di Salvo < domenico@rgcartronik.it> ha scritto:

Things you could try:

• put the needle image in internal flash, if not already the case
  • check in the simulator which zones are updated when the needle is moving by pressing F2. Try to reduce those zones as much as possible.
  • bitmap caching, preferably in internal RAM if you have enough as it is faster. Bitmap caching might seem complex at first but I think the article I shared explains the steps and what code to insert. Tell us if you struggle too much and on how we could improve our documentation 👌

Be still aware that achieving high performances on F4 chips with complex animations/full screen updates for large screens (800x480 is still fine) is not necessarily something we can promise (I still think doing some of the things above should help). I would just maybe recommend looking into the STM32F769 which has basically the same connectivity, the H7 family or even the new U5. But I am not marketing so I might be saying someone completely stupid 😅, especially as I am not sure of the price differences and delivery capabilities...

/Romain

DDi S.1
Associate III

Hi Romain

Unfortunately in this period the hardware choices must also be made according to what is on the market.

However, your suggestions have been invaluable.

Loading the images from the external flash to the SDRAM I had a clear improvement in performance.

Best regards

Domenico