cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runing TouchGFX based code from STM32CubeIDE

JHarding
Senior

I cannot seem to get an Application Template to run from STM32CubeIDE.

Using the following versions of tools:

TouchGFX 4.13.0

STM32CubeIDE 1.2.0

Windows 10

Here are the steps that I follow:

From within TouchGFX:

1. File->New

2. Select Application Template STM32F746G Discovery Kit

3. Select UI Template -> Blank UI

4. Name the project STDemo and Click Create

5. Add a white box that fills the entire canvas.

6. Add a button that I can tap

7. Click Generate Code

8. Click Run Target

This does work, and I get the desired white box and single button that I can tap. Yay!

NOTE: To get TouchGFX designer to "Run Target" I did have to install STM32CubeProgrammer. I don't recall reading this anywhere in the guides that have been posted, but is made apparent by the error message that TouchGFX Designer throws when STM32CubeProgrammer is not installed.

Now I want to put this into STM32CubeIDE so I can link the button with some code. Here are the steps that I follow using the project that was created above:

1. Navigate to the "TouchGFXProjects" folder on my C: drive

2. Locate the STDemo project that I created above.

3. Locate the "STM32CubeIDE" folder that TouchGFX created.

4. Locate the .cproject file with in the "STM32CubeIDE" folder and open it using STM32CubeIDE.

5. The project is successfully imported.

6. Right click on the project name and select "Build"

7. I get this error:

make: *** No rule to make target 'C:/TouchGFXProjects/STDemo/TouchGFX/gui/src/logoargbbilinear127qspi_screen/LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter.cpp', needed by 'Application/User/gui/LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter.o'. Stop.

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

This is where I am stuck :(

The long term goal here is to get the new version of TouchGFX running on my custom hardware. I have the older version of TouchGFX from CubeMX 5.4 working on my custom board, but feel that it is "legacy" because of the new version of STM32CubeIDE and the X-Cube pack for TouchGFX. The best way to get this working is to start from a "known working setup", and this is by using the STM32F746G-Disco board. Once I can successfully get this board working from within the STM32CubeIDE I would like to get it working on my custom hardware.

35 REPLIES 35

Martin,

I have a similar problem as foll :

1.I start with TouchGFX Designer choose STM32f746G V3.0, "import" a gui (swipe container example) and "Generate Code". CubeMX file and Stm32CubeIDE project generated.

2. Connect the STM32F746G-Disco evaluation board and click "Run Target" everything was fine, the gui runs on the board.

3. Import the generated project in Stm32CubeIDE (1.2.0) or Stm32CubeIDE (1.1.0) and build, an error apears :

" make: *** No rule to make target C:/TouchGFXProjects/MyApplication_3/TouchGFX/gui/src/logoargbbilinear127qspi_screen

/LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter.cpp', needed by Application/User/gui/LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter.o'. Stop."

I exclude all these files that produce this error from build ( these where files of graphics that are not used in the selected gui) .

Build again and there are no more errors.

4. Trying to debug and get the following error : Break at address "0xf3af4804" with no debug information available, or outside of program code.

And on the console the following info :

Download verified successfully

(Read)Failed determine breakpoint type

Error! Failed to read target status

Debugger connection lost.

Shutting down...

It happens on both Stm32CubeIDE (1.2.0) and (1.1.0)

@Stathis​ This was my first thought to try this morning, you beat me to it!

I went to attempt something similar, but instead I just wanted to try and delete these files. When in STM32CubeIDE I tried to delete the files and the STM32CubeIDE presented this dialog:0690X00000BwLMrQAN.png

That got me thinking about linked resources in other projects I have worked on, so I went to view all of the linked resources in this project. Right click the project->Properties->Resource->Linked Resources-> then click the linked resources tab. I then see a list of all the linked resources:

0690X00000BwLNfQAN.png

I did not link these resources, TouchGFX must have created these links when generating the project.

Clearly there are "Invalid locations". So I browse to these locations on my disk, and yep, these files don't exist. There are similarly named files, but not the correct ones.

The Path Variable that is being used to generate the links for the resources is odd, and doesn't show in the Path Variables tab either:

0690X00000BwLOTQA3.png

This is exactly that happens in my case too.

JHarding
Senior

Ok, I have a new approach that at least gets me a project that will fully compile. I can load this project on to my F746Disco, but I do hit a HardFault_Handler when the call to hal.taskEntry(); is executed...

This time I have created a video like another user did because it is just about as verbose as it gets, it is attached to this message, hopefully this helps.

I'm investigating this right now - Sounds really strange to have something like that, which seems hard coded. It's not something i've seen myself so i'm investigating focusing on CubEIDE.

Stay tuned!

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Found the issue. Please read the new sticky - I've updated the application template and provided a guide for how to fix it manually.

You have done great work.

Thank you very much Martin.

Thank you very much, @Stathis​. You keep up the good work also!

@Stathis​ 

Did you ever get your debugger issue fixed?

I tried your steps (and with the new "fixed" AT), and am seeing the same problem (the compile error is gone, but the debugger fails).

@JHarding​ 

I appreciate the video.

Did the new Application Template @Martin KJELDSEN​  fix your Hard Fault issue?