cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop STM32CubeIDE from opening random files when debug is started?

HTD
Senior III

Every time I debug my project for STM32H747 (created with TouchGFX), the debugger opens a bunch of random files, different each time.

It does that BEFORE even finishing uploading the project to the board. Before I even get "Verifying" on the console.

Then it stops at MPU_Config() in main.c.

It doesn't do that in projects created with STM32CubeIDE, just with a TouchGFX project.

It's super annoying, is there any way to stop that beavior?

21 REPLIES 21

We abandoned using the STM32. The IDE is just too clunky, slow and makes development very difficult. To test a simple one line change takes > 20 seconds. It just isn't suitable for us.

Much happier developing for the ESP32 in VSCode.

I have to admit that I do like the STM32CubeIDE - especially the MX tool integration - it makes configuring the project much simpler. 

But I hate to say it, Eclipse is just so.... old looking. Like you say, it's clunky and slow. It does weird things. It does enough weird things that I have developed a love-hate relationship with it.

Like (just one more example) when you fire up the App and it spends the first two minutes checking for updates to the huge amount of plugins and extensions. Fine it does that in the background - but have you every tired selecting anything from a drop-down in a dialog while it's doing it? The drop-down closes and erases your input every second or so.

Eclipse is Java under the hood - but Java never really gave the cross-platform write-once-run-anywhere convenience it promised us. So (for example) you can get Motor Control Workbench on Windows but not macOS - and you get TouchGFX on windows, but not macOS. So why bother with a clunkly old, slow concept like Eclipse when there are much better solutions available and which are fit for the 21st century. 

I guess ST has made an investment of time and talent in the eclipse based stuff, and so they can't abandon it. But they could put a bit more effort into fixing LONG LONG LONG standing bugs and making it more suitable for cross-platform uses.