cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeIDE 1.0.0 + TouchGFX 4.10.0: Working project inside (STM32F746G-DISCO)

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hello everyone,

Due to an increasing number of people having issues with CubeIDE and TouchGFX Integration i'm attaching a working project for STM32F746G-DISCO for your inspection - There were a good number of things to do before it worked, only some of which i highlighted in my quick-guide and even some of those steps were a bit ambiguous and could be executed in different ways.

I've written down what i've done to get this project working and i will use this in planning a video tutorial - It has to be somewhat official, so i can't simply start up the screencast and start talking. But i'll keep you updated.

/Martin

84 REPLIES 84

Martin,

Do you know when 4.12 will be released?

And will it work better with STM32CubeIDE?

I've been looking forward to this release for some time now.

Hi ScottD,

Integration wise, you can't have one without the other. That's why we're kind of inter-dependent, toolchain wise, on eachother. TouchGFX, CubeMX, CubeIDE. Currently, CubeMX is locked to use 4.10 - This will change in Q4 which is when we'll also be able to release a new version of TouchGFX (4.12.0) and will probably be able to release more independently, subsequently.

/Martin

shorai
Associate III

@Martin and @Scott,

Without being pedantic, I hope there is something that got lost in translation 🙂

'code generation is a manual thing.' in my country would mean that me (manual) would write all the code.

Not quite what I expect a 'code generator' should be doing for me 😉

I'll wait for the next release and test it out.

Martin,

Thanks for the quick answer. I am looking forward to an implementation that works well. I have been evaluating many STM32 discovery kits with various screen resolutions. My work flow has been to simply click the "Generate" button in TouchGFX whenever I edit the TouchGFX designer and the TouchGFX C++ code. This has worked well for evaluation and demonstration purposes.

I am getting close to the point where I want to use STM32CubeIDE/CubeMX and still having some issues with errors.

I am using CubeIDE 1.0.2 and when I go to build the project (after executing TouchGFX, at about 5:30 of your youtube video) CubeIDE never finishes.

I need to kill it and it prompts to save the cubeMX file. I do this, reopen the project and build it and I get different errors than you do in your video. The errors I get have to do with OSWrappers and AbstractPainter.

0690X00000A9etsQAB.png

0690X00000A9etxQAB.png

Any idea what may be causing these?

One thing to note is that the simulator files appear to be already excluded from the build so that step appears to be unnecessary. Is this something that was added to version 1.0.2?

I finally got a new project to compile on STM32CubeIDE (1.0.2). One MUST follow Martin's video EXACTLY. One thing that I did not see in the video is that he closes TouchGFX after designing the screens and doing a "Generate Code". I had not seen that and left TouchGFX open. This messed up STMCubeIDE to the point it needed to be killed via Task Manager. Of course, it was not closed cleanly and this must have caused issues.

Maybe this will help anyone else attempting to use STM32CubeIDE.

zul-a
Associate II

@Martin KJELDSEN​  Thanks for posting this solution here. Please give an estimated time by which we can expect STM32CubeIDE to generate a bug free code for Touch gfx projects ? This issue with Cube and touch gfx integration is quite old now. At least I have struggled with it for more than a year now.

Kind Regards

ZU

zul-a
Associate II

Hi Martin

It complies fine when I migrate it to CubeIDE. I am getting the following error once I compile after opening f746g-disco-test.ioc file to make changes to configuration. It asks me to migrate and I click yes. Compile straight away without making any change and it throws these errors. I am on version 1.0.2 of the IDE.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0690X000009anAyQAI.png

ALomb
Senior

Hi @zul-a​ ,

as shown in the video I think you must remove some files and directorie from project build.

0690X000009aw9CQAQ.jpg

This does not always work. I have gotten STM32CubeIDE into a state where even when selecting some items to "Exclude Resource from build", it will still fail to compile because it still attempts to include them (even after explicitly telling it not to).

What I have done to alleviate this problem is edit the actual project file (as mentioned previously in this thread). A good idea is to keep the project in a repository (I use SVN) and restore some of the changes that have been altered as a result of a STMCubeMX code generation.

I have yet to determine exactly what needs to be changed, however.

We are all patiently waiting for a version of STM32CubeIDE that correctly integrates TouchGFX.