cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What voltage should be clamped on for analog input, vref or VDDA? At what condition positive injected current happen when the pin is used as analog input?

Jasmine
Associate II

Hi,

I'm using STM32H7A3, and I’m a bit confused about injected current for pins used as analog input. 

In our design, I used both 5V tolerant and 3V tolerant pins as analog input. And VDD=3.3V, VDDA is connected to VDD with a bead. And Vref is 3V. And for each input, I have clampon diode connected to VDD, not Vref.

For 5V tolerant pins, positive inject current would happen when Vin > min(Vdd, Vdda)+3.6V, with maximum 5 V. 

For 3V tolerant pins, positive inject current would happen when Vin > Vdd+0.3V In the document here, chapter 5.2.1 and 5.2.2 https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an4899-stm32-microcontroller-gpio-hardware-settings-and-lowpower-consumption-stmicroelectronics.pdf

If the pins are used as analog input, the maximum operating voltage on pin cannot exceed min(VDDA, VREF+) + 0.3 V. Does it mean injection current will happen when VIN > min(VDDA, VREF+) + 0.3 V, or the injection current will happen only when VIN > VDD?

The reason I ask is that I have clamp diode connected to VDD, not Vref. If injection current will happen when VIN > min(VDDA, VREF+) + 0.3 V, then the clampon diode can not really protect the design against accidently high voltage input.

Anybody can help me with this, any response is appreciated.

With best wishes

Jasmin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

VIN > min(VDDA, VREF+) + 0.3 V means that the injection current flows when the input voltage is greater than 300mV above the smaller value of VDDA and VREF+.

In your case, this is true at 3.0V (the lower value) +0.3V = 3.3V.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

VIN > min(VDDA, VREF+) + 0.3 V means that the injection current flows when the input voltage is greater than 300mV above the smaller value of VDDA and VREF+.

In your case, this is true at 3.0V (the lower value) +0.3V = 3.3V.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you. I think this answers my question, this means I need to connect clampon diode to Vref, not VDD.

Correct.

If the problem is resolved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards

/Peter

Thank you very much again for the quick response.