cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voltage Regulator in STM32H7 HAL Manual

rockybalboa__
Associate II

Hi,

I just wanted to mention that its really frustrating that in the STM32H7 HAL Manual, in the RCC Section,

1. There isnt a simple step by step guide to setting up the clock config to follow along, like there is for other things like GPIO's. As someone who's just starting in embedded with STM32, I really would want STM to include step by step guides for every section in their HAL Manual.

2. In the RCC Section of the HAL Manual there is no section which talks about Voltage scaling. I luckily stumbled across it but what if someone else did not know about it. There should be the step by step guide, which includes the steps for setting the voltage regulator as per the desired clock config. 
I know that this may be something that is 'supposed' to be done in STM32CUBEMX, but in order to really learn, I don't want the software to do everything, I want to learn and see what actually goes on. The HAL Manual has been pretty good with that but there's tons of sections like RCC, and even PWR that don't have the step by step guide to set it up. So please if anyone from STM see's this, I would really hope that my feedback gets acknowledged and you guys can maybe add that in to the HAL Manual. It makes learning that much more easier, saves me and you problems since I wouldn't be able to blame STM in case I follow the manual and then say "My board is broken because you guy's didn't include the Voltage Regulator in the RCC Section', and it overall makes the STM32 Experience better.

Besides that, as a mechatronics systems engineer who's tryna get involved with embedded software, STM has been rockin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jiangfan
ST Employee

It will be good to include step by step guides for every section in their reference Manual for STM32, but frankly speaking the effort is not low.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jiangfan
ST Employee

It will be good to include step by step guides for every section in their HAL Manual for STM32.

It may be not the case today. In such case, user may refer to examples provided in STM32 Cube firmware library.

jiangfan
ST Employee

It will be good to include step by step guides for every section in their reference Manual for STM32, but frankly speaking the effort is not low.

I see, well I mean as someone who had trouble with ST with this issue, I think I could have either ignored it and let others go through the same problem, or try to make a difference as little as it may be. Maybe we can open a ticket or something

JBURB
ST Employee

Hi,

I must admit that clock configuration is quite complex. For a "mechatronics systems engineer" you did not start with the most accessible device :-).

If you want to dive deep into the clock configuration, why don't you have a look at the reference manual RM0468, the chapter Reset and clock control (RCC), explains all the possible configurations. If it seems too long (~180 pages), perhaps going through the code generated by cubeMx with the reference manual open to understand the impact of each register access could be more useful.

Tell me if you already had a look at the reference manual?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hey,

So yea the example was pretty helpful and it helped out with the voltage scaling, but I was actually unable to find an example when a Peripheral clock was set up using a PLL other than PLL1. 
This kinda supports my above point because if we had a general guide for setting up clocks in the HAL Manual then I wouldnt need to look for examples for every scenario since its unreasonable for STM to have examples for every scenario you know what I mean?

I'm pretty much trying to use PLL2 as a clock source for an ADC but I cannot find any example nor a guide online on how to configure it. 

I agree that perhaps reading through the reference manual and doing a bunch of other stuff I could probably learn how to set it up, but it would just be nice to have a general guide somewhere. If its not possible then I totally understand.

P.S. I'm a mechatronics systems university student, probably shoulda made that clear earlier but yea