cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Com Port doesn't work in win10

FArle.1
Associate II

I have the stm32f4 discovery kit. It's true, natively doesn't have an UART communication from USB but I connect the pins RX and TX of debugger to USART2, step and step from datasheets. I would have to see the device in the port on my Device Manager in Windows. I tried reinstall the drivers, connect another cable, all possibillities but I can't solve my troubble. I appreciate any help. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Bubbles
ST Employee

Hello @FArle.1​ ,

the VCP service is usually provided by the ST-Link embedded in the Discovery Kit. I don't think it's possible to to reconfigure that functionality. If the VCP is not found by the USB enumeration, it's irrelevant what USART pins are connected. There are at least 6 different F4 discovery boards available. Which one do you use?

J.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

FArle.1
Associate II

I have the STM32F407G-DISC1. It is true, if it didn't have that functionality it wouldn't be possible to reconfigure it. I checked the user manual and the embedded st link supports a Virtual Com Port, but as the manual said these pins are not connected. I attach a part of the manual that says it0693W00000BbD86QAF.pngMy real problem is when I search the Virtual Com port in my Pc.

Bubbles
ST Employee

You are probably using older version of that discovery kit. It's written in the UM that only the current one supports the VCP.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Bubbles
ST Employee

0693W00000BbEjhQAF.png@FArle.1​ , here is the footnote about the board version difference. The exact order code to tell the boards apart should be in the blister insert.

J.

FArle.1
Associate II

Thanks! I see. Yes, my kit is the old version, command code stm32f4discovery. In the old version, is there a way to make the connection? Because in the old UM that I have it has the same connection and I remember that I could make a UART connection through ST-LINK. Is it the cause of the old diver working?

Hi @FArle.1​ ,

I believe the best bet would be to replace the embedded ST-Link with another ST-Link, capable of VCP, by HW modification. Probably cutting the PCB leads and soldering some wires to ST-Link from nucleo board or using a connector.

I know no way to upgrade the ST-Link firmware to support the VCP, if it did not support it originally.

J.