cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a QSPI PSRAM chip with STM32L452xxx?

SKarl.19
Associate II

I'm new to STM32s and I want to verify that I can put a Quad-SPI PSRAM chip (or SRAM, DRAM, etc) on the Quad-SPI interface and have everything work? From what I have read it seems like it will work, but everything seems to refer to using FLASH memories, not xRAM devices.

The only caveat I see is that the Memory-mapped mode _won't_ work because that is read-only. With that option gone, I'd write some simple code to operate in Indirect Mode (register access) (or perhaps DMA?). My requirements are more storage space than speed. (I need >= 8 Mbits)

So, as I said at the top, I'm just looking for verification that this approach will work.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The MCU is relatively agnostic to the type of memory behind the interface. You could use a CPLD/FPGA.

Correct, Memory Mapped doesn't help you, but even for flash, switching back and forth is cumbersome.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

The MCU is relatively agnostic to the type of memory behind the interface. You could use a CPLD/FPGA.

Correct, Memory Mapped doesn't help you, but even for flash, switching back and forth is cumbersome.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..