cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB HS communication between two Nucleo U5A5ZJ-Q boards

ennioaloisini
Associate III

Hi all,

I need to transfer big amount of data between two Nucleo U5A5ZJ-Q boards. I need to transfer a lot of data and UART communication is not sufficient, for that reason the USB HS could be the solution. I would like to test the USB HS bidirectional communication using two Nucleo U5A5ZJ-Q boards and I would like to know how I could create the two software using CubeMx and HAL library. I did not find examples and for that reason I ask you some information.

Thank you very much for the support.

17 REPLIES 17

1/ yes you need to open two putty, 

One for the vcp of stlink and the secand for vcp of usb cdc acm class 

2/ you need to check in the readme the uart config baudrate ....

3/ in fact the stlink is a composite usb device cdc acm (vcp), dfu and storage 

The stlink can be linked to uart periph to send and receive data over the vcp 

In our case of usb host example it is use to shows application trace.

Hi @Mohamed_AYED,
Thank you very much for the answers.
Regarding the first point I opened two Putty sessions. First one on COM8 for the connection between the PC and the Nucleo board with the usb type C connector and a second one on the COM6 for the connection between PC and the Nucleo board with STLink usb connector. In this way when I write on one Putty session some words I see the same phrase also in the other Putty session and viceversa. If I have understood well the communication between the Host (PC) and the device (Nucleo board) is on the COM8 (Usb type C). With the communication on the COM6 (STLink usb connector) I could see the content of the RXBuffer and write and send the content of the TXBuffer. Is it correct?
Where is it specified in the project code that I can see the contents of the RxBuffer and write the contents of the TxBuffer and send on COM8 communicating on the COM6 port of the STLink?

Regarding the Ux_Host_CDC_ACM project, when I launch the project and connect the discovery board to the PC with both type-c connector and STLiknk connector I only see the connection on the STLink connector. Why don't I see the connection with the cable on the type C port of the STM32U5A9J-DK board?

Let me know!

Hi , try go back to primary question. No PC and no putty can optimaly test two board comm on high speed.

Write test code and on receive side check some CRC . Place breakpoint to if error code. Toggle GPIO for valid packets and measure speed with scope.

Hi @MM..1 ,

thank you very much for the answer.

I could use PC and putty to check the USB High Speed, but I could just test it at lower speed. Is it correct?

To test it with the best possible performance I have to follow your advices. Is it correct?

Let me know!

Hi @Mohamed_AYED ,

sorry if I bother you, but I want to understand.

Could you please give me a feedback to my last questions?

Hi @Mohamed_AYED,
I write to you regarding the Ux_Host_CDC_ACM project.

When I launch the project and connect the discovery board to the PC with both type-c connector and STLiknk connector I only see the connection on the STLink connector. Why don't I see the connection with the cable on the type C port of the STM32U5A9J-DK board?

How could I test this project using two Putty terminals?

Let me know!

Hi all,
Could anyone give me some feedbacks or advices about my last questions?

Let me know!

I need to transfer big amount of data between two Nucleo .... = one host second device and right protocol.

Your tests with putty etc. is waste time and dont understanding ...