cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Updated] - Selecting STM32 for graphics and touch display for animation vs video

Ricko
Senior

(Updated: I just noticed I initially wrote LVDS instead of DSI - corrected now)

Hi,

first time working with animated graphics and video on STM32, what is the best way to select a micro family for graphic application? I could not find a selector tool that would give me some guidelines of peripherals such as graphic accelerators (if needed) or other ones so to make an informed choice.

Essentially at the moment the requirements are:

- DSI interface with a resolution of 1024 x 768 (preferably 1280 x 800)

- Transparency support (not sure if this requires special hardware or if there are ways around it so it is not required)

- support for external fast memory (QSPI perhaps?) that transfers directly to the display (if such thing exists) because the application can potentially have a very large number of images

- Animation support either GIF or APNG (Animated PGN) or fast images switching. Not sure if special hardware (hardware acceleration perhaps) is required to make it a smooth experience without overloading the micro...?

- OPTIONAL... Depending on cost, it would be good to design the hardware so that it supports video too (30 FPS at the resolutions mentioned above would be acceptable).

What families (or Cortex core) should I be looking at and which specs within a specific family?

More importantly, what are the parameters to look for when selecting for animation vs video applications (so in the future I can do it myself)?

Thank you

0 REPLIES 0