cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supplying voltage on VBAT pin on STM32F469I-DISCO

NKieg.1
Associate III

Hi everyone, I am currently working on a project working on a STM32F469I-DISCO. I would like to be able to use the embedded RTC as well as the backup SRAM. I have seen on the schematic that the VBAT pin is tied up to the 3.3V. Is there a way to still supply voltage to the VBAT pin (through the 3.3V for exemple) ?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Looking at gerbers of rev.C, it appears that the VBAT track is on bottom, appears to be quite well accessible.

If this is a one-off and you have some skills with cutting/joining PCB tracks (i.e. the usual techniques used to fix botched prototypes which are otherwise OK), it could be cut and brought out to some suitable point.

JW

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Unfortunately, no.

The more dense DISCO boards are unfortunately not very well designed with respect to general usability. ST's strategy moved from DISCO boards as a vehicle for having joy through experimentation, towards Nuclei as barebone board, and Discos being shiny but single-purpose boards.

As I've said too many times, ST does not understand the reason of the STM32's success.

JW

That's too bad ... My company wanted to avoid designing our own board but it may be something to think about then ...

Looking at gerbers of rev.C, it appears that the VBAT track is on bottom, appears to be quite well accessible.

If this is a one-off and you have some skills with cutting/joining PCB tracks (i.e. the usual techniques used to fix botched prototypes which are otherwise OK), it could be cut and brought out to some suitable point.

JW

Thank you a lot for your input. Unfortunately, this would not be a one off as we plan to use this board for a project which will be commercialized

The use in a commercial product is not permitted anyway, see the Evaluation Board Terms Of Use:

The Evaluation Board shall not be, in any case, directly or indirectly assembled as a part in any production of Yours as it is solely developed to serve evaluation and testing purposes and has no direct function and is not a finished product.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Ow, I wasn't aware of that ... Guess we will have to design our own board and then the VBAT will be accessible!

No problem. It seldom happens that the Terms of Use are read. 😀

Good luck!

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best for the favourite answer. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.