cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U5F9NJ FDCAN Peripheral Not Initializing

dhein
Associate

Hello,

I'm having problems implementing the FDCAN peripheral on the STM32U5F9 TFBGA-216 package. The peripheral is present and configurable in the IDE, but none of the registers update during initialization. In addition to my code, I've tried a bare project which only configures the FDCAN, and compared with multiple development kits from the U5 series. Code that is written for this target fails to init the U5F9 FDCAN, but works on a development kit with the LQFP variant of the U5G9. I've confirmed that our supporting hardware is functional—the chip runs as expected outside of this singular issue.

There is a recent forum post in which an ST employee noted that the FDCAN on the U5F7 is disabled via hardware, but operable on the U5G7. I'm curious if this problem is reflected on the F9/G9 non-crypto and crypto variants as well? As of right now, the CubeMx still lists the peripheral as present and operable, and there's nothing in the device errata to indicate otherwise.

Any thoughts @SofLit ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @dhein 

I had an internal confirmation: for FDCAN STM32U5F9 could be replaced by STM32U5G9

In fact the non-crypto part numbers don't feature FDCAN.

Hope this answers you question.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @dhein and welcome to the community,

I think it's the same issue as https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/fdcan-not-working-with-stm32u5f7/m-p/725427#M262026

For U5F7, FDCAN is available where Crypto is enabled on the part number except for WLCSP208 packages.

I need to check internally and get back to you for U5F9.

Internal ticket number for follow-up: 192448.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello SofLit, thank you for your reply. Have you heard anything back on this yet? We've ordered some of the U5G9 to see if that does indeed address the issue.

Hello @dhein ,

I'm still waiting an answer.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have a confirmation, feedback.

Hello @dhein 

I had an internal confirmation: for FDCAN STM32U5F9 could be replaced by STM32U5G9

In fact the non-crypto part numbers don't feature FDCAN.

Hope this answers you question.