cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U535 Backup registers access wait states

GeertL
Associate II

Hi all, 

I am running into an issue related to writing backup registers on the STM32U535xx MCU. When I compile my code with -Oz, the write fails, whereas with -Os, it succeeds. The relevant C code is pretty straightforward:

LL_PWR_EnableBkUpAccess();
LL_RTC_BKP_SetRegister(RTC, LL_RTC_BKP_DR0, value);
LL_PWR_DisableBkUpAccess();

I ended up comparing the output assembly of the two compiler levels and found the cause below:

notepad_0swXgaLMqa.png

Left is compiled with -Oz and is not working (the write is not performed). Right is compiled with -Os and works as expected. The instruction labeled "store" is the STR operation which writes to TAMP->BKP0R. The instruction labeled "lock" writes to PWR->DBPR (disabling access to the backup domain).

As you can see, with -Oz there are 2 instructions between the "store" and "lock" operations, whereas with -Os there are 3. Indeed, when I add a __NOP() before the LL_PWR_DisableBkUpAccess() call, then it works as expected even with -Oz. Lowering the sysclk from 160 MHz down to 16 MHz does not change the situation. This seems to indicate that a write to the backup registers requires 3 additional wait cycles on this controller.

The same code ran on an STM32U575xx works as expected, even with only 2 instructions between the "store" and "lock" instructions.

I was not able to find any information regarding backup register latency in the STM32U5 reference manual, datasheet or device errata. However, I did find a presentation for STM32C0 which indicates that backup register writes do require 3 extra wait cycles. Is this also the case on STM32U535xx? Are there other STM32 controllers where this is a known issue?

4 REPLIES 4
STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @GeertL ,

Thank you very much for the detailed description, it is very clear . We logged it in with this tracking number #177856 and next week we will be back to you . My guess it is the synchronisation between different Power domains and AHB buses. In older families it was mapped on APB bus , so the more AHB/APB ratio the more cycles are required to be propagated to the backup registers . The best to ensure an effective write is to make a read just after . It will ensure the write independently from compilers options or adding cycles . We will be back to You the soonest with my colleagues .

Have a great weekend 

STOne-32

Stassen.C
ST Employee

Hi GeertL,

Can you confirm that you used the same compiled code?

Regards,
Stassen

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Stassen,

The C code in the OP is an abridged version (in the full version there are a few more things between LL_PWR_EnableBkUpAccess() and LL_RTC_BKP_SetRegister(), which are not relevant for the example).

I can confirm that the two assembly versions shown were compiled from the exact same C code. The only differences between the two assembled binaries was that I changed the compiler optimization level for specifically the file containing these function calls. For all other files in the project the compiler optimization level was unchanged.

I can also confirm the exact same C code compiled for STM32U575xx (specifically a Nucleo-U575ZI) did not exhibit the described issue with -Oz optimization level.

Specifically I am using Keil uVision 5.38 with ARM Compiler 6.19 with Link-Time Optimization enabled.

Douglas MILLER
ST Employee

This post has been escalated to the ST Online Support Team for additional assistance. We'll contact you directly.