cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32h747 discovery blank

yakabmarci
Senior

i just received my brand new stm32h747 discovery board, on power-up it does nothing just two LEDs light up, according to the user manual it should be preloaded with a demo.

I checked in cube prog and it reports as blank.

Is it possible that my device got damaged somehow or it is just not flashed?

aren't units tested before shipping out?

Is this a common thing? I don't remember ever receiving a discovery board blank

45 REPLIES 45

I have just purchased a number of these boards to have a few spare since I have been programming for over a year and know the board well. Previous board works fine and flashes the code written in STMcubeIDE. The new board communicates over STlink and flashes, but no activity on screen etc. Only the 5V power LED on the back is on and LD10 is red (when it should be green). I have tried the other boards and all show the same behaviour. There are no faults reported, ie halt CPU. There is however a weblink called "GETSTART", but the URL does not exist.

The issues with these newer displays seems to be with the A03 display, the BSP code for video mode DSI doesn't work, so if you are using this code then you will get no display.

If you try building and flashing one of the Command Mode examples you will probably see it jump into life.

There are more details here: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D73W000001owXCSAY/detail

JSext.1
Associate II

I will give that a go later tonight. It's strange that there is no demo out of the box. So the question is, how do I get my program working since it works perfectly on my old stm32h747 ddisco?

I guess we have to wait for ST to fix the software issues.

Or recode everything to use Command mode.

JSext.1
Associate II

I just flashed it as you said and the demo worked fine. Good to know what the issue is. I'll have to think what next to try next. Maybe source some old screens...​

JSext.1
Associate II

Just as a quick update if it helps anyone, I swapped screen with Serial#A225300779 from a new board and replaced it with an old version with serial #A211700328 and all code worked perfectly. So its definately the new version of the screens causing the issue. Will have to wait until ST are able to resolve this issue.

Piranha
Chief II

Something changes withing a limits of specification, but the software doesn't work anymore - that is exactly how a broken code manifests itself. The code was always broken, it just seemed to "work" in the particular combination of fine circumstances.

SFilc.1
Associate II

I had the same situation. New board from Mouser. When first turned on, nothing came on the screen. After programming the individual examples, there was an image on the screen. The general example is not working, nothing is on the screen. The board was bought about a month ago.

And something very important. It might sound funny, but it took me 3 hours to figure out what was going on. I work with many variants of ARM of other companies, with J-Link usually, with their environments.

With them, after programming, the processor is restarted and the board is launched. Here, after programming, you must manually press the RESET button.:) It doesn't say that anywhere in the examples.

Some of the pin and board level changes can get to be particularly frustrating.

A lot of things seem to be signed off when marginal, or just-about-work, the examples not only need to work, but need some robustness, as people will/do copy this code into other projects and gets into everything. A less Microsoft learned with their DDK a decade or two ago.

Boiler Plate code generation will also act as a force multiplier, so the code needs to be solid, and tested on a range of hardware, ie boards which might be custom or prolific, but not DISCO, NUCLEO, EVAL boards.

I really hope at some point the SW QA gets a lot better, and there is "Dog Fooding" among development and support staff so a lot of the annoyances are experienced first-hand and there is motivation to fix things.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..