cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H5 Dual Differential ADC changes common mode voltage depending on clock setting

ParAvion
Visitor

Hi guys, I'm running two differential pairs into two ADC's of an STM32H562RG. The traces are DC blocked by 47nf caps. The ADC's are setup in a master and slave dual simultaneous differential mode, running at 2 MHz each. Data is transferred by DMA. The signal of interest is a baseband signal coming from a tuner IC. The ADC's are timer triggered by TIM2.

VREF on the *562RG is connected to VDDA which is 2.5V (stable)

System clock (adc_hclk) is 240MHz

ADC master clock (adc_ker_ck) is 120 MHz

ADC sample time is 2.5 cycles

With the differential setup I'm expecting both positive and negative ADC channels to be VREF/2. This is true when I select the ADC clock setting to be "ADC_CLOCK_ASYNC_DIV4". To my knowledge this will result in a 30MHz clock coming off the ADC master clock, with 12.5 cycles + 2.5 cycles making it just in time for my 2 MHz sample rate (15 cycles at 30 MHz).

When probing the channels with an oscilloscope I found that the signal (data) coming from the tuner IC is a bit distorted (contains large spikes/random noise) and doesn't contain my signal of interest. This changes when I set the ADC clock source to "ADC_CLOCK_SYNC_PCLK_DIV4". Doubling the ADC clock speed. This also "pulls" the negative channel to just above VSSA and the positive channel to about VREF/2. The signal of interest re-appears on my scope. The ADC measures about 1.25V when the tuner is disabled, giving me a large default offset of about 2047 + 1023.

I have since then tried about every combination I could think of. More cycles per sample, reducing the main clock to as low as 120MHZ. But every time I switch from a synchonous clock to an asynchronous clock the common mode voltage changes and I can't find our why. I'm trying to keep the synchonous clock because I read the possible jitter issue from clock domain syncing.

I'm happy to post my code but I think I'm overlooking something obvious here. Hoping for the "aha-duh" moment in your reply. Kind regards and I appreciate any help.

0 REPLIES 0