cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F429ZI NUCLEO board that supports 6 SPI interfaces

RMas
Associate II

I'm looking for an ARM based MCU that will handle IC configuration on a board in development. Really just need a full breakout for bench testing. I need it to handle at least 6 SPI lines. Comparing available NUCLEO boards to product selector I found that STM32F429ZI supports up to 6 SPI lines and NUCLEO-F429ZI is available. Can anyone confirm is NUCLEO-F429ZI support all 6 SPI lines?

Hoping to use dedicated hardware lines, but open to other alternatives e.g mux, ect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @RMas​, to the community!

On the NUCLEO-F429ZI, the SPI6 already uses the SPI6_SCK line for Ethernet, but the problem can be solved if you don't use Ethernet. You only have to open the solder bridge SB182 and the pin PG13 of RMII_TXD0 is free and available as clock line of SPI6 and you'll get six SPI ports.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @RMas​, to the community!

On the NUCLEO-F429ZI, the SPI6 already uses the SPI6_SCK line for Ethernet, but the problem can be solved if you don't use Ethernet. You only have to open the solder bridge SB182 and the pin PG13 of RMII_TXD0 is free and available as clock line of SPI6 and you'll get six SPI ports.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yes, thank you! If I understand correctly I only need to remove the solder bridge and I can use PG13 for the SPI6_SCK. Will I need to change anything in code for this to work, or does Ethernet need to be enabled in code to work in the first place?

If you use e.g. STM32CubeMX as stand-alone program or embedded in STM32CubeIDE, you can start a new project with the board and answer the question if everything should be initialized with No. The project then already contains the predefinitions for the Ethernet pins, but the Ethernet peripheral is still completely disabled like everything else. So you have full freedom to do what you want with the STM32F429ZI.

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Good luck!

/Peter

RMas
Associate II

One last question if I may. What other hardware might i need for programming the device? is the USB cable sufficient for this board? Would I need to get a ST-Link to program the MCU once placed on my board?

The NUCLEO-F429ZI already contains an ST-LINK/V2-1, which can even be broken off and then used completely stand-alone. But you don't have to break off the ST-LINK, you can also remove the two ST-LINK jumpers, which breaks the connection to the STM32F429 on the NUCLEO and enables a SWD connection via CN6. See UM1974 for details.

A Micro-USB cable is quite sufficient to program and debug the NUCLEO.

If you then have an STM32F429 on your own board, you will of course need a programming device for programming, which can be this ST-LINK for example, but does not have to be. There are many possibilities for programming, which are listed in detail in the AN2606.

Regards

/Peter