cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Change the Compiler in STM32CubeIDE to an Older Version (GNU6 or Earlier)

compilerCdoe
Visitor

Hello. I am currently developing a project on an STM32F429ZI board using the STM32CubeIDE tool, and I have encountered an issue. When configuring a project in the STM32CubeIDE environment, the code is generated through the code generator, and the compiler used is "arm-none-eabi-gcc." However, I want to generate code using a different compiler instead of the default one. Currently, STM32CubeIDE version 1.16 supports GNU7 or higher compilers, but I need to use an older version of the compiler. Is there a way to achieve this?

1 REPLY 1
Ghofrane GSOURI
ST Employee

Hello @compilerCdoe 

First let me thank you for posting.

To use a different or older version of the compiler with STM32CubeIDE, you can follow these steps:

Install the Desired Compiler:
Make sure you have the older version of the arm-none-eabi-gcc compiler installed on your system. You can download it from the ARM developer website or other repositories that host older versions.
Configure STM32CubeIDE:
Open your project in STM32CubeIDE.
Go to Project Properties by right-clicking on your project in the Project Explorer and selecting Properties.
Navigate to C/C++ Build > Settings.

GhofraneGSOURI_0-1727692745575.png

In the Toolchain tab, you should see the current compiler settings.

Change the Toolchain Path:

GhofraneGSOURI_1-1727692793617.png

Modify the paths to point to the directory of your installed version of arm-none-eabi-gcc.

THX

Ghofrane