cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32C0 MCU brings 32-bit kick to 8-/16-bit cost-sensitive applications

Simon.T
ST Employee

The new STM32C0 series comes to complete the STM32 Mainstream MCUs portfolio.

The STM32C0 series is the most cost-effective STM32 MCU. It bridges the gap between 8- or 16-bit MCUs and higher performance 32-bit MCUs. Built on the same technological platform as the STM32G0, the STM32C0 ensures you reduce costs without impacting design quality and reliability.

The STM32C0 series offers up to 32 Kbytes of flash memory and 6 to 12 Kbytes of RAM. It comes in a variety of 8- to 48-pin packages (UFQFPN20 available), down to 1.70 x 1.42 mm (tiniest package over all STM32 products with WLSCP12).

0693W00000Y863mQAB.gif 

You can find more details about this product in Your next 8-bit MCU is a 32-bit. It’s called STM32C0! - STMicroelectronics.

If you have any question or feedback about this product, you can share it with Community. Just pay attention to add relevant topic STM32C0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
S.Ma
Principal

Some secondary resources that might help some developpers:

Arduino Core STM32C0 (link)

8 bit to STM32 Migration App note (link)

Alternate demo running on STM32C0316-DK (link)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

> Built on the same technological platform as the STM32G0,

I know I can look it up myself, but... does this mean pin-compatibility?

JW

Hello,

Yes, it is pin to pin compatible with STM32G0

Best regards,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the clarification.

You might've said so directly. We are engineers, we don't care about fluffy words but facts.

I had a look at the DISCOs. To be honest, they are lame, sorry. For example. why using proprietary LCD on the "little" one, why not a standard HD44780-compatible, with as standard pinout as possible, to maximize the chance of it working with whatever spare we have in our drawer? There's also no noteworthy perk on the "bigger" one.

The point of the DISCOs would be to make us to to do impulse purchase, play with them a little, and then put them on the shelf with the feeling of "oh now I know what this line is about". Without any such perk (or with the perk requiring me to purchase extra parts and not-that-usual headers/cables/etc), I just skip. And so will other users.

I know you hand them out at seminars and trade shows, but that's not the same thing, by far not. Buying one is an entirely different thrill and makes an entirely different impact. I understand that this all is hard to convey to the marketing folks, but I thought Discos are made by engineers. And here we arrive at this:

0693W00000Y86LqQAJ.png(* plus the hefty $30 Worldwide shipping)

which makes me even less willing to buy one, leaving a bad aftertaste instead (especially during an introductory period). (We'd need to discuss your whole "store" too, but that's for another day.)

Discos used to be a vital part of the STM32 success, but since the overcomplicated Discos of cca the 'F7, you've sort of lost it.

Btw the naming scheme omitting the "DISCO" word makes them hard to find/separate in the various webstores.

Jan

gregstm
Senior III

That "1.70 x 1.42 mm" package is freaky small - but the spacing/placement of the pads/balls makes me wonder if even I could actually work with that package. On second thoughts, I might just stick to the larger LQFP/SO8 packages...

Our producers still tell us anything below 0.5 pitch is special and therefore more expensive. I understand from a technical point of view that WLCSP has to match the physical size of the DIE, but considering it is marketed as low cost a 0.5pitch ball grid would be much more attractive.

aNt
ST Employee

The problem is, that with this kind of pitch you will end-up in having something like 6 balls only in this case, which would not be so attractive. The WLCSP focus is clearly for the applications where footprint size is critical and so higher-end assembly / soldering is used as a standard.

gbm
Lead III

The optimal case for the smal MCU suitable for low-cost projects is SOT23-8. The next one is MSOP10. Pity no MCU maker uses SOT23-8, there are some MCUs in MSOP10, not available in practice. I will fall for the first Cortex-M available in SOT23-8, no matter who would be a vendor. 🙂

Why isn't the C0 or G0 available in SOT23-8?

aNt
ST Employee

If we take the standard SOT23-8L package with body size 1.65 x 2.9 mm, then the C0 or G0 will simply not fit in. :(

S.Ma
Principal

Some secondary resources that might help some developpers:

Arduino Core STM32C0 (link)

8 bit to STM32 Migration App note (link)

Alternate demo running on STM32C0316-DK (link)