cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTOS Survey

Bored Saturday, I was just curious who's using which RTOS:

• FreeRTOS (Hideous Hungarian HorroRTOS, where code is fugly and deficiencies are touted as features 😉
  • Azure/ThreadX (can't wait to see how Microsoft poisons this one 😉
  • RTX (any actual CubeMX support?  Really?  Documentation?)
  • Other(s)?
  • None/Bare Metal (including HAL-only)

Just wondering...

11 REPLIES 11

None. I'm too ѕtupid to learn it.

JW

gregstm
Senior III

The last time I used an RTOS was decades ago, and that system became so sluggish that it had to be re-written without the RTOS. I prefer not to have any other software between me and the hardware (thankfully my projects are all smallish these days). 

STOne-32
ST Employee

  Hi @David Littell ,

This is not specific for STM32 but a survey done 1 year ago by Embedded : it may interest You .

IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6484.jpeg

IMG_6487.jpeg

 Ciao

STOne-32

The asked question is below 

Nikita91
Lead II

I use my own and I am very happy with it! : https://adastra-soft.com/

TLin.5
Associate III

Was looking at possibly using Azure/ThreadX, but found some of the code to be too deficient to use.
Now MS have ditched it and handed it over to Eclipse for an uncertain future.

Currently working with CMSIS-RTOS2 RTX just for the RTOS (not using any driver bindings).

Bare metal is just not worth it for big projects.

Others may be interesting, but I am not willing to pay royalties or similar unless a customer insists and foots the bill for it.

For my information I would be interested to know what you find deficient in Azure/ThreadX.

One thing in particular was the PPP stack disabling IRQ for every single byte of transfer, making it impossible to get any kind of speed to a serial link.

Davide Dalfra
Associate III

On my end, it depends.

For smaller projects, I opt for bare metal setups.

Generally, when I require a web server or in general "connectivity features", I tend to use an RTOS. While I previously utilized FreeRTOS, I'm currently working on my third project with AzureRTOS.

There are pros and cons compared to FreeRTOS. However, what sets AzureRTOS apart is the abundance of libraries it offers, including USB and networking capabilities.

On the downside, there is a lack of community for AzureRTOS, and documentation is also lacking. The lack of docs for me is the most painful stuff because you need to dig into sources & example to find out possible solutions.

I'm curious why Microsoft did not rebrand and share Express Logic's documentation.

D.

Danish1
Lead II

I don't use a full-blown RTOS. But I do use the Crossworks Tasking Library (CTL) that comes free with the Rowley Crossworks/CrossStudio IDE.

That gives me prioritised tasking, mutexes, semaphores, queues and the like, with IDE support so I can see where each thread is and its stack trace.

When I started with arm cortex, I don't think there were many free offerings. (The company I work for pays for Crossworks, and consequently Rowley give support where there is a bug or I don't understand things.) And now I stick with CTL because it does what I need and I know it (i.e. I don't need to put time and effort in to learning it).