cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RM0385 has references to nonexistent GPIOx_BRR register.

RM0385 rev.8 has two references to nonexistent GPIOx_BRR register in the GPIOx chapter, even if there's no such register in the 'F7.

As changelog witnesses in v2 (under "Updated c7amba_ioport_UserSpec" 🙂 ), there used to be a GPIOx_BRR description (presumably result of copy/paste from... 'F1?), so these are the unremoved remnants of it.

JW

5 REPLIES 5
Danish1
Lead II

Hi Jan,

I assume this is really a complaint about updates in ST headers breaking other code and documentation also supplied by ST. I know you're extremely knowledgeable about ST microcontrollers, so I shouldn't need to point out to you that GPIOx->BRR is simply a 16-bit access to the high half-word of GPIOx->BSRR.

How to do it in C syntax? I'm not too sure, but I guess

GPIOA->BRR = 0x1234;

needs to become something like

((uint16_t *)&GPIOA->BSRR)[1] = 0x1234;

Regards,

Danish

Hi Danish,

Thanks for your comment.

I think I know what are you talking about: I do have this:

* @file    stm32f4xx.h
  * @author  MCD Application Team
  * @version V1.0.0
  * @date    30-September-2011
  * @brief   CMSIS Cortex-M4 Device Peripheral Access Layer Header File.
  *          This file contains all the peripheral register's definitions, bits
  *          definitions and memory mapping for STM32F4xx devices.

[...]

typedef struct
{
  __IO uint32_t MODER;    /*!< GPIO port mode register,               Address offset: 0x00      */
  __IO uint32_t OTYPER;   /*!< GPIO port output type register,        Address offset: 0x04      */
  __IO uint32_t OSPEEDR;  /*!< GPIO port output speed register,       Address offset: 0x08      */
  __IO uint32_t PUPDR;    /*!< GPIO port pull-up/pull-down register,  Address offset: 0x0C      */
  __IO uint32_t IDR;      /*!< GPIO port input data register,         Address offset: 0x10      */
  __IO uint32_t ODR;      /*!< GPIO port output data register,        Address offset: 0x14      */
  __IO uint16_t BSRRL;    /*!< GPIO port bit set/reset low register,  Address offset: 0x18      */
  __IO uint16_t BSRRH;    /*!< GPIO port bit set/reset high register, Address offset: 0x1A      */
  __IO uint32_t LCKR;     /*!< GPIO port configuration lock register, Address offset: 0x1C      */
  __IO uint32_t AFR[2];   /*!< GPIO alternate function registers,     Address offset: 0x20-0x24 */
} GPIO_TypeDef;

Splitting BSRR into BSRRH and BSRRL in the headers was a particularly dumb take from ST.

But BRR as a separate 32-bit register (where only LSB 16 bits are actually "active") is a real thing - look at the GPIO registers description of 'F1, 'F0, 'F3, 'L0, 'L4, 'G0, 'G4 RM, it's at offset 0x28 (while BSRR is at offset 0x18 - the offsets are different for 'F1 it is generally an exception to everything pin-related). It's also in *some* 'L1, but it's absent in 'F2/'F4/'F7 and 'H7.

I guess, the BSRRL/BSRRH dumbness was "inspired" by requests from users who were missing the BRR in 'F2/'F4 back then.

JW

Looking at that list of families containing BRR, above, it downed to me, that those, which do have BRR, use the single-port DMA, whereas those which don't, use the double-port DMA.

This should not matter, as GPIO registers can be written in word, half word or byte mode - except in 'F1, where GPIO registers are only word-writable, i.e. writing halfword into upper half of BSRR would result in writing the same value into both halfs (due the AHB/APB bridge's behaviour) which probably confused some of the early users - and then this probably stuck as a habit among the developers.

JW

Sarra.S
ST Employee

Hello @Community member​,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

I confirm this issue and I reported internally for correction in the coming release.

Internal ticket number: 138270 (This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

Sarra

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks Sarra!

Jan

@Sarra.S​