cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace STM32F215ZG with pin compatible MCU with more flash and RAM

AndyCrosher
Associate II

Can anybody suggest a pin compatible ST micro that has more Flash and RAM than the STM32F215ZG - this has 1MB Flash and 256Kb of RAM. I have to maintain large data structures and I keep running out of space.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AFAIK, the 'F20x has only 128kB RAM (64kB CCMRAM and 64kB SRAM1).

STM32F427/429ZI has 2MB FLASH, 64+192=256kB RAM and - contrary to 'F469 - is almost completely pin- and functionally compatible with 'F20x (check pin 143, and the VBAT divider is different).

JW

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

How much more ?

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @AndyCrosher and welcome to the ST community .

I suggest you use the CubeMX that will list pin-compatible parts (with flash and ram details of each MCU).

Load your chip, configure it if you want, then go to Pinout -> List Pinout Compatible MCUs:

STTwo32_0-1714147980826.png

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello Andrew,

I have seen some STM32F4 series chips have 386Kb of ram and 2Mb of flash space - this should be sufficient.

Regards Andrew.

Here are some STM32F4 that can do the job:

STTwo32_0-1714381172534.png

If you want to have more details, please refer to my first comment.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

AFAIK, the 'F20x has only 128kB RAM (64kB CCMRAM and 64kB SRAM1).

STM32F427/429ZI has 2MB FLASH, 64+192=256kB RAM and - contrary to 'F469 - is almost completely pin- and functionally compatible with 'F20x (check pin 143, and the VBAT divider is different).

JW

Pretty sure the F2's lacked CCM

But the 144-pin parts had a bunch of cross compatible options, up thru the F7 an H7 parts.

There were a couple of F2 pins that needed to be jumper differently on F4's but this was well documented over a decade, and was typically accommodated at the design phase. I could build my boards with any of the F205, F215, F405 or F415 parts with a couple of BoM changes.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

> Pretty sure the F2's lacked CCM

I stand corrected, thanks. The 128kB total RAM holds true, though.

> There were a couple of F2 pins that needed to be jumper differently on F4's

For the 144-pin part, I know only of pin 143 (which in 'F2 is much like "don't care" and PDR_ON in 'F4 with "funny" consequences if it's not connected as described by DS). Did not try/check deeply, but the VCC/VSS jumpers in 'F4 DS are IMO only for 'F1-'F4 compatibility.

While they may be (mostly or fully) pin-compatible, 'F7/'H7 (i.e. Cortex-M7) may also bring in surprises to unaware. 'H7 also has quite different peripherals such as SPI or DMA.

'L4+ (STM32L4S5) may be also an interesting option to look at, especially from the RAM perspective, if the peripheral mix will fit the requirements (i.e. there's no need for the dual-port DMA, two OTGs nor ETH, etc.)

JW

If don't recall if the design guide was in the F2 or F4 data-sheets. But involved like 2 pins in pull up/down configurations.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Pin listings for STM32xxxZIT (i.e. 2MB FLASH, 144 QFP) in attached spreadsheet.

It does not guarantee functional compatibility, of course.

JW