cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the pin to pin compatible part of stm32f103vet6?

JKW
Associate II

Hi,

I'm using stm32f103vet6 in my design, but due to the limit power budget, the MCU consumes much power(60mA per MCU , while I used 2 chips in my design), result in frequently triggering over current protection. Is there pin to pin compatible STM32L series part which could be utilized to replace the original one, so that I don't have to make hardware change?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @JKW , all,

My contribution to the thread - best replacement is STM32L4 series for both pin-to-pin compatibility with a 99% match to not say 100% ( due to the NC pin) just to wire to VDD - and will solve the power consumption as L4 series is on our best in class Cortex-M4 at 80MHz ULP line .

IMG_7879.jpeg

 here LQFP100 column matters to migrate from F1 to L4.

Ciao

STOne-32

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Doesn't CubeMX have a method of showing pin compatibility? 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

You can use CubeMx tool / and cross Selector menu for that purpose:

SofLit_0-1715082869164.png

For more details, refer to that knowledge base: https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus/how-to-find-compatible-devices-for-an-mcu-stm32g473cb-as-example/ta-p/49636

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
JKW
Associate II

It's quite helpful. Thanks a lot.

Further question,  how can I evaluate the MCU power consumption if I change the STM32F to STM32L?

thanks.

Thanks for the hit. I tried it in CubeMX, there are quite a few compatible part . But I still have question for below:

JKW_0-1715083147060.png

If I deselect the 3 options, there is none candidates.

Watch that video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxvkgkJjI5A

Or refer to MCUs respective datasheets.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Pin-for-Pin compatibility is a battle ST's frequently lost.

The 144-pin device tending to be the least problematic.

The F1 series is very old, it's the first STM32 family, and ST learned some things. So there's usually now VCAP pins for the LDO, and some movement in the VDD/VSS pins, and a lot more flexibility in the peripheral pin mux/escape method. So there might be smaller parts that can get the functionality you need. Would look at G0 and C0 offerings.

The L series expect to be battery powered, all the time, and suspended, so they lack a different/separate VBAT pin

My expectation is that you'll have to spin the board, but changes might only need to be localized to the MCU and rearranging a handful of pins.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @JKW , all,

My contribution to the thread - best replacement is STM32L4 series for both pin-to-pin compatibility with a 99% match to not say 100% ( due to the NC pin) just to wire to VDD - and will solve the power consumption as L4 series is on our best in class Cortex-M4 at 80MHz ULP line .

IMG_7879.jpeg

 here LQFP100 column matters to migrate from F1 to L4.

Ciao

STOne-32

Dear STOne-32,

question for the PIN NO.73, because the board assembled MCU is already there, but it;s  NC pin in STM32F1 while it is VDD pin in STM32L4. In my board the NC pin is a no connection design, so I replace the  chip with STM32L4, will it work, missing a VDD power supply?

You need to connect that VDD pin otherwise you may face some issues.