Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum external clock requirement for STM32G474CET3

sag
Associate III

Hi I am using below controller in one of our design

STM32G474CET3

i would like to know minimum external clock frequency on which my microcontroller works.

Also my requirement includes 1 SPI, 1 I2C and 4 ADC input sensing.

I would need very minimum external clock frequency on which it can ru,

And ultimate goal is to run 1 SPI, 1 I2C and 4 ADC input sensing at a very low current consumption for 3.3V microcontroller supply,

In datasheet its mentioned from 4 MHz, can this be used in 1 to 3 MHz range too

sag_0-1729494067687.png

Also any ball park current consumption can i get for 1 SPI, 1 I2C and 4 ADC input sensing at 3.3V input to Microcontroller.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @sag 

This MCU minimum HSE resonator Frequency is 4MHz. You can't use any other value under 4MHz.

For the Current consumption of your MCU, you may can refer to the Table 35 of the DS12288

Ps: don't forget to read the description of the Table 35.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @sag 

This MCU minimum HSE resonator Frequency is 4MHz. You can't use any other value under 4MHz.

For the Current consumption of your MCU, you may can refer to the Table 35 of the DS12288

Ps: don't forget to read the description of the Table 35.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

Why not use the HSI ?

No external clock needed at all.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@sag wrote:

In datasheet its mentioned from 4 MHz, can this be used in 1 to 3 MHz range too

The datasheet defines the guaranteed operating conditions - if says 4MHz is the limit, then that is the limit for guaranteed operation.

AndrewNeil_1-1729499155186.png

If you want a lower-speed external clock, there's LSE:

AndrewNeil_0-1729499086512.png

@STTwo-32 wrote:

This MCU minimum HSE Frequency is 4 MHz. You can't use any other value under 4MHz.

But, when operating with an external clock source (so not using the HSE oscillator), there is no minimum limit stated:

AndrewNeil_2-1729499372755.png

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@sag wrote:

I would need very minimum external clock frequency ... at a very low current consumption

Note that, for low(est) power consumption, it is often better to run the microcontroller fast - so that it can sleep longer.

sag
Associate III

Our operating temperature is 180 deg C which will cause drift in internal oscillator at higher temperature.

The stability is not good at higher temperature. 

@sag wrote:

Our operating temperature is 180 deg C . 

That's well outside the specified operating limits:

AndrewNeil_0-1729499813130.png