cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from STM32L to STM32H5

Janardhan
Associate II

We have product running with STM32L162ZET6 successfully. Because of memory constraints on future developments , we wanted to use alternative part for it. During research, we found STM32H533ZET6 by Hardware engineer.
After comparison, we found that architecture, power consumption , security , memory layout are different from our own MCU.

Is it possible to migrate between the MCU easily, require anything or miss something that is too important consider.
Challenges:

1. wanted to migrate with no effect on Hardware.

2. Little impact on Firmware change .

Any inputs will be very helpful.

Thank

8 REPLIES 8
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@Janardhan wrote:

Is it possible to migrate between the MCU easily, Thank

That depends on what you mean by, "easily" !

It will also depend a lot on how portable you existing firmware is - ie, whether it is tightly-bound to the specific details of the L1 or not.

If your existing firmware is not already portable, a good first step could be to make it so.

At the end of the day, it's just another porting exercise...

EDIT:

You may get some hints & tips from:

AScha.3
Chief II

To see pin compatible cpus, just open in Cube the -> Pinout    tab:

AScha3_0-1720607115191.png

select pin compatible cpus --- and you get a list (or not ) 🙂

+

Just guessing : something like STM32L476ZG might fit...with 1M flash here.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Its not tightly coupled with L1.

My basic question is STM32L cortex M3 and STM32H5 Cortex M33.
Is it possible to port.  As there is no documents available for migration guide for STM32L to STM32H controller.

if any documents are available , please attach.

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Janardhan and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

As said @Andrew Neil , that may depend on your use case, your firmware, your design, .... For that I've escalated your request for our direct support. You will be contacted soon by one of our FAEs. He will help you on that.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@Janardhan wrote:

Is it possible to port.  

Of course it's possible !

Here, I'm porting from an AVR to an STM32; so two completely different architectures - not even the same family or same manufacturer!

AndrewNeil_1-1720607971936.png

@Janardhan wrote:

there is no documents available for migration guide for STM32L to STM32H controller.

you can't expect there to be specific documents for every single possible case!

Again, it's the same principles as porting from any chip to any other chip.

@Janardhan wrote:

if any documents are available , please attach.

I added some links to my earlier post.

Going to a Cortex-M33, probably the biggest thing you're going to have to get to grips with is the security features.

Yes, 
I will check the provided links. Actually, we thought to migrate or replace MCU without big change in firmware. After getting into discussion here, Its looks like , there will be firmware change for the migration of MCU.

Thank you.
I am excited and waiting for your support 

Douglas MILLER
ST Employee

This post has been escalated to the ST Online Support Team for additional assistance. We'll contact you directly.