cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low latency streaming audio over IP --- NUCLEO-H723ZG

SWenn.1
Senior III

I am looking to stream audio over an ethernet connection to a cellular hot spot.  This will be low latency.  Can someone tell me what STM32 firmware library I should use and if this is an appropriate hardware for that task?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Define "audio": how many channels? bit rate? bit depth?

Define "low latency".

When you say "ethernet", is that purely at the physical layer, or do you also need to be IP-based?

Especially with IP, it is a non-trivial exercise - doubly so with wireless links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_over_Ethernet

Hello Andrew.

Great questions!

This will be up to about 10kHz 12kHz.

Low latency will be sub second.

IP-based.

Right now my vision (and please feel free to jump in here).

I have a NUCLEO-H723ZG on the way.  I am looking at the X-CUBE-OPUS and X-CUBE-ETHERNET libraries to integrate.  I 'hope' I can take A/D samples, create PCM for the OPUS and send to the ETHERNET library. Initially I want to get the pieces in place and do a proof of concept. On the final solution I am still out on the fence as whether to use UDP/Multicasting vs TCP to a website and hosting....I guess it comes down to reliability vs latency in that sense.

Thoughts?

Steve

@SWenn.1 wrote:

This will be up to about 10kHz 12kHz.

Is that your sample rate?

What bit-depth?

Mono or stereo?

@SWenn.1 wrote:

Low latency will be sub second.

eg, 950ms would be OK ?

Another issue to consider on IP networks is the allowable "jitter" on that ...

Sample rate (whatever OPUS allows)...24 or 48khz 

bit depth....16 if possible, if not 12 and padded for PCM

mono....

if 950 is the best I can get then so be it...(if you have another lower latency path in the confines of that nucleo I mentioned I would love to hear it)

LCE
Principal

I'm doing that with the H723 / H733 / H735.

8 audio channels (I2S from the 2 SAIs) at 32 bit / 200 kHz (51.2 Mbit/s) via DMA to internal SRAM buffers to HyperRAM via DMA to ETH via TCP to PC host.

I use lwIP (some minor parts tuned a little) and self-made ETH-driver, no OS.

CPU at 400 MHz, no audio processing, CPU sleeping about 50%.

Works like a charm.

If you have a client that's taking data quickly and reliably (so just do not plug into "a network" but directly to host) you probably don't need extra RAM, and latency will be about 2 packet times (guessing: < 5 ms).

So how many audio channels do you have, just this one?
Anyway, at that sampling rate it shouldn't be a problem - BUT it will be lots of work.

Spoiler: CubeMX, and even many HAL functions will not do all the work for you.
In all of my "signal path" relevant code there's only HAL_GetTick() left from HAL.

Just one audio channel.  I too was hoping to avoid OS.  That is really low latency!  Can you explain the 

" (so just do not plug into "a network" but directly to host)"....

My vision would be to send to a IP address of at say AWS and users could stream off of that...

My vision would be to send to a IP address of at say AWS and users could stream off of that...

Live streaming to or from AWS? Anyway, I have no idea about that.

Sometimes Windows 10 alone has other stuff in mind, and the more nodes in the network, the more your latency goes up - and more than the inbuilt RAM might be needed (prolly not with 1 channel at 16b/48k).

So, my short latency is in a super small network: STM32 - PoE switch - PC.
I have seen latency go up in our company office network, depending on the traffic.
I have tweaked lwIP PCBs by adding DiffServ / QoS priorities, but I have no idea if that actually helped.
There's some more testing to do on my side...

Thanks so much for the advice!  One more quick question.....Do you know if / where there is an AAC codec ST library?

LCE
Principal

Sorry, I don't.