cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for test firmware to verify the veracity of STM32H7 series.

Mark Speir
Associate II

I am a hobbyist and was forced to buy three STM32H757BIT6 chips from two different Chinese suppliers due to the fact that they are not in stock with any authorized suppliers in the US.

With the veracity of the chips in immediate question, I bought a 208 QFP test socket and plan on making a test board to verify the chips. I figure I'd need nothing on the board but the crystal, passives, programmer interface and some method of relaying information from the chip to the PC. However, I'm not sure how to go about writing the firmware to check the chip.

What should I be testing for in software? HOW should I be testing this? This is different than a typical MCU application and I'm a bit out of my depth.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Speir

4 REPLIES 4
AScha.3
Chief II

dont make a lot of action, to proof, the chips are ...whatever you think.

if you think, the Chinese are only bad and make almost only fakes - why buy anything there ?

otherwise - most technical products are coming from there , and most are good or even top quality.

so i ordered about 1000 times from China, and yes, there were 2 products not working.

chips with "right" stamp/writing , but wrong function. i found these chips working, as long as no strong load was there; so maybe, just bad production test , to cut cost down. they been dirty cheap also.

so dont waste your time "testing" something, that is 99% original anyway, because a real good test for such complex chip is probably the same as the program/product you want to bulld.

and most important: you make the target board you want - and in case, all chips are defective : buy another from mouser or so and your ready.

much more sense, than just making some "test-board" , thats useless otherwise.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Mark Speir
Associate II

I bought the parts from where I can get them from. The three authorized US distributors, Digikey, Mouser and Newark, will be out until this time next year, if not later. I'm about to start cancer treatments and this project is really just to keep my mind active while going through them. To be quite honest, I may not be around for US suppliers to receive inventory.

Fake chips from China is a big industry concern. Will I be affected? No idea! However, it's wise to verify the parts when they arrive.

Mostly you need to watch the power supplies and have the VCAP capacitors attached.

ST does have a "safety" library that does MCU checking, perhaps also CRC memories.

It's not going to be a full functional test of the device. JTAG boundary scan might allow you to fiddle with pins. You could check the Device ID, make sure it's what you expect, similarly the FLASH size written to the OTP/SYSTEM

You'd have to create peripheral tests to get to your comfort level with it working. Perhaps have external loop-back on UART pins, or TIM functionality.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Mark Speir
Associate II

Thank you! That gives me a starting place! Much appreciated!