cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a example project showing how to do multi-core debugging?

GanZ
Associate II

I 'm using STM32H747I-DISCO, with IAR toolchain. I tried some example in STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.4.0, CM7 and CM4 are in two different configuration of a project(ex, STM32H747I_DIACOVERY_CM4 and STM32H747I_DIACOVERY_CM7), which can only be activated and run one at a time. The Options->Debugger->Multicore is gray out. Is there a example showing how to setup a project that can debug both cores (set breakpoint) at the same time?

2 REPLIES 2
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @GanZ​ ,

Welcome to STM32 Community =)

Have a look at this AN5286 STM32H7x5/x7 dual-core microcontroller debugging, this application note provides guidelines for the dual debug of applications which run on the STM32H7x5/x7 microcontrollers using different software Toolchains as EWARM.

I recommend to follow the section 4 which starts from page 8: "Using IAR Embedded Workbench™ for Arm®"

Note: I recommend you to use latest release of STM32CubeH7 (v1.8.0) MCU package, as contains updates and enhancement.

Hope this helps you.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
THart.1
Associate

The STM32H7 is an incredible Si family that needs good examples to thrive. Slow adoption and development minimizes market capitalization for ST and customers.

Out of box I was able to debug my master core and observe the M4 core working from there, but not able to debug the M4 core let alone multicore debug.

AN5286 does a dis-service to the ST community. The multicore project options do not match those of a recent IAR Embedded WorkBench (I have 8.50.3). The .mac file excerpts are error ridden. When the .mac errors are fixed debugging of ST sample code on the M7 is no longer possible, requiring it not be used. See IAR .mac file syntax in EWARM_DebuggingGuide.ENU.pdf. While there please look at  p.337

" To use multicore debugging in your hardware debugger system, you

need a specific combination of C-SPY driver and debug probe

The IAR C-SPY I-jet/JTAGjet driver

An I-jet, I-jet Trace, JTAGjet, or JTAGjet-Trace debug probe"

I will let you know if this works.