cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to automate flashing a STM32?

CDyer.1
Senior

Hi, I've designed a custom board that has a STM32F411 and a STM32f446 on it. I would like to be able to have customers update the firmware on the boards as easily as possible. Currently, I program the chips using an ST-Link but can also program over UART using a TTL to USB cable. Now my question; is it possible to program the STM32 without using software provided by ST? I'd like to be able to provide a USB stick and a TTL to USB cable to a customer so they can program the system without having any microcontroller knowledge (or something similar). What is the best way to achieve this?

edit: Just to clarify a couple of points

• The device is for heavy industry applications and will be installed in an IP67 rated enclosure usually outside in a quarry or inside a factory
  • It is possible that the customer may have no dedicated IT staff (if a small quarry for example) but will have HR staff that can use a Windows computer
  • I will be assuming that the customer can move a windows machine to the location of the installed device (via a laptop for example)
  • The device will be updated on a one to one basis - no organisational updates needed
  • Upgrading the firmware on the device needs to be as basic and simple as possible so an individual familiar with how a PC works can do it.
  • Hardware is not 100% finalised yet. Small changes can still be made to accomodate any hardware needed for reflashing on the customers end.
11 REPLIES 11

Add USB to serial (TTL) converter to your board? Then you will have serial option (PC, Teraterm) with a standard USB cable.

Also, you can utilize RTS from the serial converter to trigger the update mode. Connect it to BOOT0 or sense from your own updater.

STM32F4 have their own USB controller but it's a lot of work compared to UART+USB converter chip.

At the moment my client just needs to plug the thing and flashes automatically, no need to have touch functionality nor OS navigation.

(i could access trough ssh if needed)

The screen just gives a very rudimentary one direction GUI, it feels alive and expensive that way.

You could also get away with a small piezo that goes BEEEEP or BEP BEP.

0693W00000GWLNiQAP.png

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk