cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set "Don't fragment" flag LWIP short TCP paquets

JMarq.1
Associate III

Hello,

I am sending very short TCP paquets (600 bytes maximum) in a PC <=> MCU transfer scenario. I wish the software running on the PC to answer using an empty (len=0) TCP flag ACK packet as soon as it gets every TCP packet.

Using an STM32F207ZG and LWIP stack on STM32CubeIDE, TCP packets are sent correctly but PC software answers an ACK after 50ms approximately. This is too much.

Using an MCU from another brand with a TCP/IP stack different than LWIP, I can send paquets setting "Don't fragment" flag and the receiving software on the PC answers every packet with an ACK in less than 10us.

How can I send packets on LWIP forcing to be set "Don't fragment" flag?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is a generic lwip question, rather than STM32-specific, so maybe better discussed in the lwip-users mailing list.

Search indicates, that the don't fragment flag used to be set by default around 2004 (which could probably be relatively simple to restore, as mentioned, in src/core/ipv4/ip.c ip_output_if(), where now is IPH_OFFSET_SET(iphdr, 0);) and here is a thread discussing to set it selectively (but that probably requires further insight to pull it off).

JW

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Confused?  Maybe you meant nodelay? In LwIP this is called tcp_nagle_disable() 

Hi @Pavel A. 

I forgot to mention that I am using RAW (no-RTOS). I already tried tcp_nagle_disable(); as pointed in (https://support.xilinx.com/s/question/0D52E00006hpkatSAA/lwip-with-fragmented-packets?language=en_US) and that didn't work to me, packets on Wireshark where shown with "Don't fragment" IP option set to 0. I also tried pcb->flags |= TF_NODELAY; prior to tcp_write() and it didn't work to me neither. I tried also playing with IP options "IP_FRAG" and "IP_REASSEMBLY", neither they worked.

In LWIP source code ip4_frag.c I read:

/**
 * The IP reassembly code currently has the following limitations:
 * - IP header options are not supported
 * - fragments must not overlap (e.g. due to different routes),
 *   currently, overlapping or duplicate fragments are thrown away
 *   if IP_REASS_CHECK_OVERLAP=1 (the default)!
 * @todo: work with IP header options
 */

Does this mean that IP header options are not available? I hardly believe that.

I'm absolutely confused and lost. Sorry, for confusing you also.

Thanks

LCE
Principal

Maybe the time has come to get into the lwIP source and modify it.

Been there, done that. Not nice concerning future updates of lwIP, but possible.

So try to find out where and how the IP header is built and modify it.

This is a generic lwip question, rather than STM32-specific, so maybe better discussed in the lwip-users mailing list.

Search indicates, that the don't fragment flag used to be set by default around 2004 (which could probably be relatively simple to restore, as mentioned, in src/core/ipv4/ip.c ip_output_if(), where now is IPH_OFFSET_SET(iphdr, 0);) and here is a thread discussing to set it selectively (but that probably requires further insight to pull it off).

JW

JMarq.1
Associate III

Thank you @waclawek.jan for pointing me to that. I changed it in ip4.c to IPH_OFFSET_SET(iphdr, PP_NTOHS(IP_DF)); IP frames now are being sent always with "Don't fragment" flag set. Nonetheless, PC software continues ACKing after 50ms for STM32 MCU instead of 10us on the other MCU. I'll look to other direction about what's going on.

Closing the post as it was about how to set this flag.

Concerning the 50 ms ACK delay, have you checked that the PHY and the STM's ETH MAC both are working in full-duplex mode?

There once was a bug in the HAL driver for the PHY LAN8742, so the PHY negotiated for full duplex, but the HAL read the wrong register and set the STM's MAC to half duplex, and that lead to a lot of strange "behavior"...

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Do you see fragmentation in Wireshark?  With a direct connection between STM32 and the PC, it is unlikely that 600 bytes will be fragmented. A bug such as mentioned by @LCE  looks more likely

JMarq.1
Associate III

Good point. I checked that and it's running at 100M/Full.

To my surprise, the old hardware with old MCU (the one that is communicating much faster) is 100M-Half !! (:O) I forced 100M-Half on the new hardware with STM32 and there is no difference, still 50ms there. So, in that case, half or full is the same behaviour.

No, packets are not being fragmented. I just was trying to find what the problem for this difference in ACKing interval might be because old MCU was sending all packets with "Don't fragment" flag set and new STM32 MCU wasn't. But, I was wrong, this is not explaining the issue.

I'm still trying to find differences to explain that.... looking into differences between wireshark captures from both MCU etc....

Thanks