cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program STM32F407VET6 boards?

Andrew Crawford
Associate II

Hey everyone, I am new to STM hardware and software... Recently got a development board from a third party that's based around the aforementioned microcontroller. From what I gather you can start building on STM projects from STM32CubeMX, however I could not find the board in their board selector (as it is a third party) and im unsure how programming the board would differ from programming the bare MCU if I would simply select to use the MCU itself.

Can I proceed to program the board just by telling the software the model of the MCU, or is there a way to install an additional software package that has the board information (and is this available)? Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22

Frequently these things have more utility than Nucleo's, as noted the MicroSD card is big for me as it allows for easy logging and update options. Plus there are a lot of pins exposed.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Please send the english version of STM32F407VET6 black board schematic ??

MVerm.2
Associate III

Hi,

I am also having the exact same board with StLink V2 Clone. Can anyone please describe how to setup the bootloader jumpers BT0 and BT1.

I have tied the ST Link Dongle pins RST, SWClock, SWDIO with their respective destinations on the board. Do I need to connect that SWIM pin from the dongle to the board too?

ST-LINK.v2 white dongles have two connectors, use the large one. The SWIM connector is for STM8.

-- pa

Thank you so much @Pavel A.​  . Can you please tell me what to do with the bootloader jumpers?

BOOT0 and BOOT1 select the boot configuration. As shown on your picture, both are jumpered to GND (0).

This means boot from the user flash memory.

You don't need to touch this if you can connect thru debugger interface and load your program.

For other variants please read the fine manual. Here, page 69.

-- pa

The board is now detected by STLink Utility. Thank you.

WHyns
Associate II

I know you do not want to hear this but here is my way of dealing with these boards ,before I order I ensure I have the cores loaded into my arduino ide, next I check for any arduino bootloader for the board , I insure there is a RX,TX ,boot 0,1 pins ,just in case I have my jtag and a copy of the code to change the protection bit from a 1 to a 0 or vice versa, than I wipe the demo code ,install the arduino bootloader and now this board can be treated just like any arduino board then I can have fun.

because they do not know.

Sure, but that tends to be a trailing-edge approach, once all the board support and variant files have been created but someone sufficiently invested in making that work.

A lot of these AliExpress, Taobao, VCC-GND, boards do at least curry interest on GitHub by the MicroPython crowd.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..