cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to burn (download) a program into a Micro if I am not using a Experimental board as Discovery board....

ERABALF
Associate III

Hi ST_community.

"Programing STM32F429ZIT6 micro"

I have a question: what are the options to burn/download a program into a STM32F429?

At this moment, I am working on STM32F429ZIT6-DISC1 board, now, everything is ok, everything is done it throughout ST_Link (I was checking the board and it has an STM32F103 to support the USB ST LINK).

So, at this moment, I don`t have an idea how to program the STM32F419 if the MCU is not on STM Discovery board.

After some test, I will need to design a board (with all electronic components that my project is using), and I will need to transfer the program/debug it....

Can you tell what is the best way to do it, please?

Any comment/advice is welcome.

br

Alfredo

7 REPLIES 7

Add a JTAG/SWD header on the board so you can connect an external pod, like an ST-LINK/V2, Segger J-LINK, etc

G​eneral programming could be done via a serial port, or USB. See App Note AN2606

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Nikita91
Lead II

You can use the connector CN2 and CN4 of the DISC1. This allows to use the STLINK of the DISC1 to flash/debug another MCU.

Have a look to the DISC1 schematics: https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/32f429idiscovery.html#cad-resources

This is a wonderful feature of older development boards. News with STLINK-V3 lost this possibility. Sigh...

Hi Tesla DeLorean.

Thanks a lot for your quickly answer.

I was checking the APP Note AN2606, so using USART1 (for example) we can flash/debug the MCU, boot0 (PIN 138) must be connected to GND, so, Main Flash memory is selected as boot space.

So, the ST-LINK V2 (wired as TX-RX(MCU), RX-TX(MCU), GND-GND(MCU) and VDD-VDD(MCU)) using pins: PA10 and PA9, it should work

0693W00000QKbXaQAL.png I hope I understood correctly, if not please, let me know it...

again, thanks a lot for your comment/advice.

Br

Alfredo

The Nucleo boards with STLINK-V3 still have MIPI10 debug connector.

The MIPI10 connector allows to configure the NUCLEO local MCU with an external tool, while STLINK-V3 is disabled by JP1 (UM2505 Page 12).

AFAIK the STLINK can't be disconnected from the local MCU, therefore impossible to drive an external MCU.

I wonder what kind of tools this connector is intended for, because I don't see the point of using a tool other than the local STLINK-V3 on a NUCLEO board.

I think that since ST now has tools like the STLINK-V3MINIE, they don't want users to be able to do the same thing with a NUCLEO board!

"....boot0 (PIN 138) must be connected to GND..." ? I may not be understanding what you are trying to do, but if you connect BOOT0 pin directly to ground you will be limiting your programming options. I connect the Boot0 pin to a pull-down resistor (10k?) and a test pad/hole. That way I can pull the pin high using a spring loaded probe in a programming/test jig when I need to re-program/test. My jig connects to GND, VCC, TX, RX, BOOT0 via spring loaded test probes (my boards tend to be smallish, so I don't have much room for connectors)

Hi gregstm.

When I said PIN 138 connected to GND, I was thinking in a final project board, no in an experimental board, but I was thinking to use a header to be used when I needed to burn the program or change it any time I need if it necessary..... but always thinking to use Flash area..... is it wrong? Maybe I am trying to do something that is not correct.....

As I told you, my idea is to make a final board...but having the option to burn/replace the MCU program.....

any comment/advice is wellcome...

br

Alfredo