cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi guys,who knows what the best to connect STM32H743 to a computer for debugging?

mpen.1
Associate II

22 REPLIES 22

Debugging tends to work better with the least number of abstractions away from the hardware you're trying to understand. Wireless debugging strikes me as snake-oil nonsense that just obfuscates the task at hand, sounds good, but can get better results just plugging a cable into the header.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi Paul,the first option becouse after i would have to handle the code it is written already,maybe it is accessible to start to debug from the ide ,second option afterward i ve done a bit of practice with coding..

Which st link is good for stm32h743​

I ve saw few once onilne​,

Also do you recon in the maintime I could connect to the stm32 from the ide or from laptop through bluetooth?

If yes wht the best

Danish1
Lead II

That does look like an impressive board.

We do not need to know what the board is intended to do, but please tell us more about the timing or other requirements for debugging.

For example, if the board controls a high-power motor, where momentarily freezing execution could lead to burned-out windings, then conventional JTAG / ST-Link debugging is difficult. This is because the way JTAG works is that it momentarily freezes the stm32 and instead reads/writes debug information from the internal processor buses. That freezing is extremely quick on a "human" timescale, but could be thousands of processor-clock-cycles.

And your desire for wireless debugging e.g. Bluetooth suggests there might be high voltages present and that you want electrical isolation to protect your PC. If this is the only worry, I seem to remember that ST had an opto-isolated ST-Link.

Years back, people would do "burn-and-crash" debugging - burning fresh code into an eprom, then letting it run - observing the execution and outputs on an oscilloscope or logic-analyser. Then trying to guess where the outputs did not match what was intended and from that deducing what might be wrong with the code. Not easy, but it was all we had.

Things are much easier if you can send debugging information out, but all interfaces (other than direct-writes to LEDs) are also very slow compared with the stm32. Even with a handy JTAG for getting the exact processor state, memory-contents etc at a breakpoint, I like to have a UART for logging near-real-time diagnostics at various points in my code without having to freeze execution. But UARTs are slow, so I have to code a FIFO for my UART.

Hope this helps,

Danish

>  all interfaces (other than direct-writes to LEDs) are also very slow compared with the stm32.

ITM (SWO) should be pretty fast, and it consumes only one pin, compared to the 'serious' ARM trace. It has internal buffer to store data bursts before transmitting to the host.

Using ITM just as replacement of UART, one byte at a time, is a waste. It can send 4 characters at once, but AFAIK all s/w tool implement only single byte mode. (is this to allow unicode characters perhaps?)

Paul1
Lead

What connector is on your board?

We have STM32H743 boards with tiny MIPI 10,14,20pin, and we use:

You can also get the STLINK-V3SET, bigger and different connector but same functionality.

Don't get STLINK-V3MODS, it doesn't have a connector.

Segger parts also work (and may also do non-ST ARM MCUs).

If you have an ST demo board you may be able to use its onboard STLINK, see the docs for the board you have.

I wouldn't buy anything except ST or Segger, I've heard some of the knockoffs are flakey, and the STLINK-V3MINI is just so low cost why not get real thing.

Paul

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Hmm, I've missed this newsletter )

https://blog.st.com/tapnlink-nfc-st25dv/

mpen.1
Associate II

sure,I mean presferences and configuration file has to be set better,

so to work on the projects,It has being created meticoulosly well ,

design ether software still to make confidence with it,but I can do it !