cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has there been any changes to TIMx_SMCR in STM32F407 series MCUs?

jhson
Associate

This might be a really stupid question but I recently downloaded RM0090 revision.19 for reference in use of timers in STM32F407IGT6.

But I have noticed some diffrences from old reference manual & I can't find revision history for that.

Old revision of this refrence manual I had refers TIMx_SMCR's SMS bits as

001 : Encoder mode 1 - counter counts up/down on TI2FP2 edge depending on TI1FP1 level.

010 : Encoder mode 2 - counter counts up/down on TI1FP1 edge depending on TI2FP2 level.

but revision.19 refers TIMx_SMCR's SMS bits as

001: Encoder mode 1 - Counter counts up/down on TI2FP1 edge depending on TI1FP2 level.

010: Encoder mode 2 - Counter counts up/down on TI1FP2 edge depending on TI2FP1 level.

Has there been some changes to TIMx_SMCR in STM32F407 series?

Can anyone tell me which one is correct description?

SMS bits description in old revision.SMS bits description in old revision.Current revision(19)'s description of SMS bits.Current revision(19)'s description of SMS bits.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @jhson@TDK@waclawek.jan,

The correct description of the TIMx_SMCR's SMS bitfield is:

• 001: Encoder mode 1 - Counter counts up/down on TI1FP1 edge depending on TI2FP2 level.
  • 010: Encoder mode 2 - Counter counts up/down on TI2FP2 edge depending on TI1FP1 level.

I will escalate this to the appropriate team and push for correction of RM0090 with internal ticket ID163986.

(PS: ID163986 is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

Thank you for your feedback and sorry for the inconvenience it may cause.

Thanks

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

This post says the older version is correct, per @Imen.D:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/is-there-a-possibility-of-a-mistake-in-stm32f4-7-reference/td-p/201115

Weird that it was correct and then changed to be incorrect.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

> This post says the older version is correct

According to Imen's post, neither of the two variants in the initial post would be correct.

JW

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @jhson@TDK@waclawek.jan,

The correct description of the TIMx_SMCR's SMS bitfield is:

• 001: Encoder mode 1 - Counter counts up/down on TI1FP1 edge depending on TI2FP2 level.
  • 010: Encoder mode 2 - Counter counts up/down on TI2FP2 edge depending on TI1FP1 level.

I will escalate this to the appropriate team and push for correction of RM0090 with internal ticket ID163986.

(PS: ID163986 is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

Thank you for your feedback and sorry for the inconvenience it may cause.

Thanks

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

... and I've just confirmed this experimentally, too - when SMCR=1, CNT changes upon edge on CH1.

Thanks, Imen!

JW

@Imen.D, I believe this error is widespread, I see it in other RMs, too.

@waclawek.jan, you are right, and I requested the correction for all impacted RMs.

Thank you once again for your contribution.

Thanks

Imen

Thanks
Imen