cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to compile different binaries for two MCUs in the same family that only differ in flash size?

robotron2
Associate

I have an STM32F427VGT6 and a STM32F427VIT6 which only differ in Flash size. I have firmware that works fine on the variant with smaller flash size. Do I need to recompile it for the larger variant or will I be able to flash it as is?

I am asking because we're trying to evaluate the larger version as a drop in replacement in case sourcing is more difficult.

2 REPLIES 2

In this particular case, no - these two chips are identical except the usable FLASH size.

In different families, it may happen that models with the same "number" but different FLASH size have also other, subtle but sometimes important, differences.

JW

Generally no, you should make a determination based on the ​CHIP ID / DIE / MASKSET

It is also possible to code so that functionality is adaptive. When I was doing a lot of F4 work there were different parts that ran at different frequencies and had different memory, especially RAMs. The start up code would identify parts, run at maximal speed, and pool dynamic memory based on the part the binary was running on.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..