cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring STM32H743ZI2 FDCAN as normal can

EKosa.1
Associate III

Firstly, I have a can transceiver that worked in STM32F7 nucleo board with interrupt mode configuration. So my transceiver works properly I guess.

Now, I am trying to configure H743ZI2 to create normal can frames. My setup is 2 H743ZI2's and used same transceivers which was communicated properly in F7 setup.

I am using a friends trusted configuration which is successed that worked in H753(In H753 setup dıfferent transceiver used, and I cant use that transceiver due to reachability issues).

So, my question is:

Is there any possibility that my transceiver does not support FDCAN even in normal mode? Is there thing that compatibility of transceivers to FDCAN.

I know I did not give any code or something because I want to know only about above question.

Also I did not run into who successed FDCAN in STM32H743ZI2 board. Are there any sample code/configuration to suggest? Or this board has problems in FDCAN.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for toleration due to lack of knowledge here.

Ofc it can be software issues but I want to just know about transceiver compatibility and know about any suggestions u have

4 REPLIES 4
SofLit
ST Employee

Dear @EKosa.1​ ,

1- If you are using FDCAN in Classic Mode (up to 1Mb/s), the transceiver you have used with F7 is totally compatible with FDCAN.

2- if you try to go above 1Mb/s you have to select transceivers like MCP2562FD (up to 8Mb/s). Already used on STM32H743I-EVAL board.

3- For FDCAN in Classic mode, you can refer to the example provided in STM32CubeH7 (downloadable from this link) and located under the path Projects\STM32H743I-EVAL\Examples\FDCAN\FDCAN_Classic_Frame_Networking

If you find this answers your questions, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
EKosa.1
Associate III

Thanks for the answer.

Actually, I tried the example u suggested. Still, no data transmitting or receiving. I can not get even garbage or something meaningless. Just silence on the RX side.

• 1- If you are using FDCAN in Classic Mode (up to 1Mb/s), the transceiver you have used with F7 is totally compatible with FDCAN.

Well, if you sure about the information mentioned above, I think one or both H743ZI2 boards are suspicious.

What can be done in this situation?

• 1- If you are using FDCAN in Classic Mode (up to 1Mb/s), the transceiver you have used with F7 is totally compatible with FDCAN.

--> The compatibility resides on the transmission rates capability of the transceiver not on the protocol itself.

Now, check your hardware, continuity of your connections.

Important thing: I don't know which transceiver you are using, but there is a "Standby" pin that should be tied to GND or VCC. So, check your transceiver's datasheet.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SofLit
ST Employee

Regarding bitrate config: I suppose you are using the same board (H743ZI2 boards) for the two CAN nodes -> you have same Crystal/same clock config/ same Bitrate config. In that case no issue you will face for bitrate except if you exceed 1Mb/s. So check also if you are not exceeding 1Mb/s.