Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not start STM32CubeProgrammer under Debian

Cedric Boudinet
Associate III
Posted on January 11, 2018 at 11:54

Under Linux Debian Stretch:

- if I use the shortcut nothing happens

- if I type ./STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/bin/STM32CubeProgrammerLauncher,

I have this error message: Error: Could not find or load main class com.st.app.Main

What should I do in order to run Cube Programmer ?

Regards

Cedric

35 REPLIES 35
Carlos Soria
Associate
RLour.1
Associate II

Great! A wasted Sunday morning. Someone please post to this thread when they get it fixed.

Rich

AKucy.1
Associate II

Solution from below link fixed my problem:

https://www.fosstechnix.com/install-oracle-java-8-on-ubuntu/

Greetings

kuadamku

STerr
Associate

Managed to make it work on Ubuntu 18.04 with the following:

• make sure java8 is installed
update-java-alternatives -l
  • select java8 on your system with:
sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64
  • uninstall any openjfx 11 components
sudo apt remove openjfx libopenjfx-java libopenjfx-jni libopenjfx-java-doc openjfx-source --purge

• install openjfx 8
sudo apt install libopenjfx-java=8u161-b12-1ubuntu2

No, your way doesn't work. Mine works 100%

Carlos' advisory above may have been valid 3 months ago but it's NOT TRUE now -- I can vouch for having it working on an Ubuntu 18.04 desktop, after installing JFX.

BUT.. am not in the office today (Sunday) and am trying to get it going on a laptop, trying to remember what else I had to do... sorry not hugely helpful but I assure you it will run on 18.04. I use it daily.

SOLUTION for Ubuntu 18.04 CURRENT 22 Feb 2020:   The detail advice is provided in ST's USER MANUAL for the Programmer, which is here:   

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/group0/76/3e/bd/0d/cf/4d/45/25/DM00403500/files/DM00403500.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00403500.pdf   

Relevant instructions for Ubuntu 18.04 are: 

To get STM32CubeProgrammer working with Ubuntu ® 18.04

1. Install OpenJDK 8

a) sudo apt install openjdk-8-jre-headless

2. Set OpenJDK 8 as your default Java Runtime Engine

a) sudo update-alternatives --config java

3. Install OpenJFX

a) sudo apt purge openjfx

b) sudo apt install openjfx=8u161-b12-1ubuntu2 libopenjfx-jni=8u161-b12-1ubuntu2

libopenjfx-java=8u161-b12-1ubuntu2

c) sudo apt-mark hold openjfx libopenjfx-jni libopenjfx-java

To install the STM32CubeProgrammer tool, you need to download and extract the zip

package and execute SetupSTM32CubeProgrammer-vx.y.z.linux, which guides you through the installation process.

~~~~~~~~~

I've just done this on Ubuntu 18.04 on an i5 and it works fine now.  

(And I remember now this was what I had to do a few months back on the desktop mentioned above).  

Good luck all.

I tried your way but that didn't work for me. Solved : see my update above -- I find the instructions from the User Manual work fine:

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/release_note/group0/0e/66/57/b4/f9/ee/4f/73/DM00441049/files/DM00441049.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00441049.pdf

rclar.6
Senior

I wish this did use OpenJDK. This could mean oracle would have control of the IDE under linux.

work with OpenJDK, but version 8