cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner`s ask for help to flash the STM32

Vilius
Associate II

Hi,

I am an absolute beginner in STM32 ecosystem. This is my first time programing an STM32. My MCU is STM32F756VGH6 in TFBGA100 package. I wrote a simple led blink program and encountered a problem while trying to flash the MCU (got some kind of error while trying to flash directly from the STM32CubeIDE). After consulting with my friend, I tried only building the project in the STM32CubeIDE and using STM32CubeProgrammer to flash the MCU. However, there was no luck yet... While trying to flash the .elf file from the project`s debug folder I was constantly getting error ,,Problem ocurred while trying to connect". I guess its worth mentioning that I was also constantly getting message that I should update my stlink`s firmware, but that process was not successful either.

For the record, my stlink is not an original one (picture down below), but it worked for my friend, and also a few years ago I programmed an STM8 with it, so I guess this should not cause any problems - the programmer has to be working.

I made sure that my wiring is correct, I am getting the 3.3V where it has to be... I made a custom PCB just for the TFBGA100 to 2.54 header adapter and already put solid amount of decoupling smd capacitors on the other side of the board, I believe it has nothing to do with hardware also...

I tried to connect the stlink`s RST pin with NRST pin on the MCU, also tried to connect a reset button with a pull-down resistor and capacitor to it, I have not noticed any difference...

What else could be wrong? Any hints or observations? Thank you in advance

Sorry for the extensive post, just wanted to get in front of some of the obvious and regular answers...

41 REPLIES 41
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

The "authentication" message is misleading, not relevant here. Check the flying wires from ST-LINK to the target.

MM..1
Chief II

As absolute beginner you choice most advanced STLINKV3 and high advanced BGA . As i write before, check your STLINK with other MCU or other OK Stlink with your MCU...

My tip download and install older ST Link utility and try connect in . Too next tip, your voltage converter to 3V3 is designed for how current limit?

My converter is capable of 500 mA.

Well, I you have been following the thread from the beginning, you know, that I had problems with an after market STLINK, so If I am about to spend 50+ euros, I want the best option for the day. Why would I get STLINK V2, If I can get V3 for future compatibility (this STM project wont be the only one...) SWD protocol is independent of the stlink version. It is not criticism, but even as an absolute beginner I know, that complexity of the programmer (an original and working one in this case) has nothing to do with my problem.About the BGA... I dont see any problem again. I am not running GHz signals on a HDI mixed signal board with RF etc. We are speaking about frequencies way below 10 Mhz. All the connections are transparent so to speak, they do not introduce any hardware related problems. I spent so much time doing this breakout board, I put all the capacitors according to all the PCB rules. I verified I am getting the right voltages, my VCAPS are at 1.2V. My soldering is flawless this time... Those 3 letters of BGA act as an immediate red flag to you without considering the circumstances I am describing yet again...As I said, dont take it as criticism, its me who is searching for help and I am grateful to you all for your help. The only thing I am trying to say is that I am completely new to STM32, but not a total beginner in electronics, I have worked with PIC mcu s in the past and I know, that my hardware is all good this time. Its either a software problem, or a substantive problem of hardware (making wrong connections and believing those are right, but not missing a untrustworthy ones...) Having said that, I am still grateful to you all, I will try the ST Link utility tomorrow.

ok, so you are experienced professional . i am not...just playing around with electronics 40 y.

but on your pic with your almost empty breakout board - where are all decoupling caps, the crystal oscillator etc ... bottom side?

AScha3_0-1698787557724.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Earlier in this thread I even provided 3d view of the bottom side of the PCB in altium. All the components are on the other side. If I messed something up with power lines, I would not get 3.3V on the vdd rail and 1.2 V on vcaps (gnd would pull vdd way lower than 3.3V)

You can call me whatever you want, the thing is that I am completely new to STM, this is the reason I am searching help in this forum. If there were no other things to consider (which I dont know about STM32 yet) other than ,,wiring everything by the book", I would not have even created this thread... Just because you or someone else asks me to check my wiring yet again wont do anything. Would not call myself pro for sure, but I am experienced enough to guarantee, that my wiring is just what I have been describing in my earlier posts.

>You can call me whatever you want

i didnt call you anything - ok ?

just my boards with different stm chips worked always without basic problems.

but i never used a bga package - i cannot solder this , i cannot re-solder pins...i cannot see pins 🙂

so i always used lqfp package - even in production is more expensive, but i can still see the solder joints.

just my point of view.

and i dont know, whats wrong in your design now --- i never had this problem.

and "STM" is not different to any other cpu...so its not related to this chip/company .

(and i see no 3d view , no bottom - so i asked.)

(altium - i have at work, but i dont like it , but thats another story)

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Very much appreciate the help! I *believe* the VCC (pin 10) on the V3NMINIE is now correctly connected to the STM32F103C8T6's 3.3V power supply and that the STM32CubeProgrammer settings are correct, i.e. 'Software Reset'. There is a slightly noticeable delay before the "No STM32 target found!" error appears now but otherwise no joy. Any other tips or tricks you can IMG_5572.JPGIMG_5574.JPGIMG_5576.JPGIMG_5575.JPGrecommend?

Ok i mean F756 as high no BGA and check your schematics seems you miss

MM1_0-1698822145887.png

And read chapters bypass_reg and pdr_on

still no connection : target 3v3 to V3-MINIE (pin 10 vcc) - or no voltage there.

AScha3_0-1698825180632.png

Seems your 103 board is designed to power from usb and you use external power , then reconfig board ... Simply your MCU isnt powered...