cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance Needed for Selecting STM32 MCU with Integrated Communication Capabilities

Noushadalik
Associate II

Hello,
I am new to STM32 and would appreciate your help in selecting a suitable MCU from the STM32 series for our project.

We require the following features:

- MCU with Wi-Fi, BLE, and GSM capabilities.
- GSM integration via UART, with library support for point-to-point communication to transmit sensor data to the cloud via MQTT and facilitate OTA updates through HTTPS.
- Wi-Fi capability for transmitting sensor data and conducting OTA updates via MQTT and HTTPS.
- BLE functionality is used to configure Wi-Fi and MQTT parameters.
- Support for various sensor interfaces: I2C, SPI, SDIO, UART, and ADC.

We currently use an ESP32 but need to transition to the STM32 platform. Could you recommend an appropriate MCU from the STM32 series that meets these specifications?

Additionally, I believe GSM PPP integration should be feasible with an MCU that has Ethernet support (through LWIP middleware). Is this correct? Will I also be able to perform OTA updates using the LWIP_HTTP functionality of that MCU?

Finally, could you suggest the most suitable Wi-Fi module for my application?

13 REPLIES 13

Your software engineers will be expected to write software.. you might need to find some different ones

FOTA, OTA, and IAP are materially the same thing.

Use whatever means you choose to implement these things, perhaps implement several. Use the protocols and methods to pull the data.

People use HTTP, to pull .BIN or .HEX, or compound files across networks. They use FTP. Some Cellular modems provide download methods, or socket methods, independently of you using PPP via a Data Mode connection.

On serial ports X-MODEM and Y-MODEM are popular due to the protocol being standard, and supported in a wealth of terminal applications spanning 4 decades.

Use MicroSD cards to hold updates, use USB MSC to read sticks, and allow drag-n-drop.

Use USB DFU methods.

Stage data locally in RAM, SDRAM, QSPI NOR FLASH, etc so they can hold complete/intact firmware images.

People use compression and encryption to protect things, sign with elliptic curve methods.

If free stacks don't come with what you need, perhaps look at commercial ones.

The more methods you provide/allow for the more future proof and flexible you can be.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@Noushadalik wrote:

We currently use an ESP32 but need (sic?) to transition to the STM32 platform. ?

Why do you "need" to transition?

@Noushadalik wrote:

GSM capabilities.

What, exactly, do you mean by "GSM" - 4G? 5G? LPWAN?

Note that 2G and, especially, 3G are being phased out - so not a great time to be starting a new project based on those old technologies...

Does it have to be cellular? Have you considered other LPWAN stuff like LoRa(WAN), SigFox, etc al ?

Hello @Andrew Neil 

We are looking to transition from the ESP32 to another ARM-based MCU, ensuring compatibility with our existing setup. Specifically, we require integration with a 4G LTE modem, such as the SIM7600G, for internet access in remote areas using PPPoS. Additionally, we aim to implement firmware updates for the host MCU via both Wi-Fi and the LTE modem. Would this be a complex task if we choose an MCU from the STM32F4 series for our project?

The complexity of the task isn't going to be greatly dependent on what MCU you choose - ESP32, STM32F4, other Cortex-M based products ...