cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-CUBE-STL difference from ARM's STL

Fnx_QT
Associate III

Hi all,

I'm doing some research about STLs. What is different between STM's X-CUBE-STL offering and ARM STL Libraries ? Why would you use one over another ?

Thank you, best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Petr Sladecek
ST Employee

Hello,

I don't know the ARM STL at level of source code, but I believe there shouldn't be so huge difference at principle. Important factors could be a bit different methodology and certifications focus (ST applies IEC61508 while ARM applies ISO26262) and specific aspects concerning detailed knowledge of the ARM cores implementation at ST design. Business model pays significant role, too, because ARM licensing scheme is quite complicated what could be limiting factor for ST with strong accent upon further support of our customers. The ST STL is a solution 100% in ST hands including the specific verification methodology developed by ST. But be sure the FW was written at very close cooperation with ARM and based on their expertise.

Best regards,

Petr

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Petr Sladecek
ST Employee

Hello,

I don't know the ARM STL at level of source code, but I believe there shouldn't be so huge difference at principle. Important factors could be a bit different methodology and certifications focus (ST applies IEC61508 while ARM applies ISO26262) and specific aspects concerning detailed knowledge of the ARM cores implementation at ST design. Business model pays significant role, too, because ARM licensing scheme is quite complicated what could be limiting factor for ST with strong accent upon further support of our customers. The ST STL is a solution 100% in ST hands including the specific verification methodology developed by ST. But be sure the FW was written at very close cooperation with ARM and based on their expertise.

Best regards,

Petr