cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to enable the dead battery mode for UCPD, there are a battery pack in system?

Lmatt.11
Associate III

Hello Sirs,

I am developing a project, a portable device, which attached a 12.6 V battery pack. The device can be power on both the battery pack and a 100W PD adapter. There are a power management IC to organize and select the power path dynamically.

Right now, every works fine, except the orientation of the type C detection.
If attached the battery(not dead state), only one orientation works normally, i.o. out put 20V, another orientation only output 5V, that is the default PDO value. It seems only CC1 or CC2 can be detected.

But if i removed the battery pack, two orientation both works normally. CC1/CC2 can be detected clearly corresponding to each orientation which I changed, plug/ unplug with a different orientation for the type C.

My question is that when there are a battery(or battery pack) attached, is that dead battery signal must be enable? The problem What I met is related with the i have not enable the dead battery signal?

Lmatt11_0-1698570946307.png

Could somebody have experience on this topic?

Thank you very much!

Matt

23 REPLIES 23

Hi Matt,
Enable or not Dead Battery does not impact cable orientation.

Best regards,
Mathieu

Lmatt.11
Associate III

@MROUV.1 ,

Ok, thanks for your reply.

BR,

Matt

@MROUV.1 

There are no info. for "Selected SRC PDO" , your can see every thing is ok now. Could you please tell me where misss a trace print code? I will correct. 

Thanks,

Matt

Lmatt11_0-1699179749852.png

Nicolas P.
ST Employee

@Lmatt.11 If you start UCPD monitor after the capability messages are sent, you will not have all details.

Could you share the .cpd file ?

Have you solved your orientation problem ? If yes, can you share for other forum visitors please ?

Regards,

Nicolas

Hello Matt,
Your comment is fair because selected PDO is no more displayed since last STM32CubeMonitor-UCPD version (under update).
You can find all useful information for the Power Delivery negotiation on trace as shown on left trace.
Have you solved your orientation problem ?
Best regards,
Mathieu

@MROUV.1,

@Nicolas P. 

Ok, thank you very much for your information.

It seems the problem was solved, the two orientations both can be worked normally.

Maybe Something wrong in the users' USBPD source code that programmed I did before, I configured the system again, and changed the corresponding code according to the WIKI instructions carefully, the two orientations works normally.

Thanks,

Matt

Good to hear 🙂
Thanks for sharing your case.

Mathieu

@MROUV.1 ,

Good morning,

I did some debugging works checked, I found that when I configured multi-channel ADC. The other channels cannot work normally, but if only one channel for VUBS and comment out the others, the orientations will be worked fine.

What's the reason, we need 5 ADC channels for we need monitor other analog signals. 

Lmatt11_0-1699504541969.png

But it seems the PD stack core did some limits for the ADC.

@MROUV.1 ,

I have also some questions about the dead battery for CC1/CC2. In my project, there are a battery pack to previde the power for system, this PD type C can be attached to charge the battery, or both chargeing and previde power for thw system(portable device).

My question are,

1. Is it better to set the daed battery for CC1/CC2? Because the battery maybe dead and under this condiation we have to charge by PD. 

2, If no dead battery for CC1/CC2, what will be happened hwne battery is dead? PD can't be negotiated successfully for there are no power supply for CC lines?

3, I saw some engineers short the CCxDB and CCx lines togather, is this a right connection?

Thanks,

Matt

Hello,
1- It is not necessary to activate DB in STM32G0 because they are already embedded in TCPP01-M12.

2- DB allows 5V Vbus turn-on when fully depleted battery or system powered only by Vbus. Once, dead batteries resistor detected by the SOURCE, it turns on 5V on Vbus and the SINK can be powered by 5V. Next, a Power Delivery negociation can be done. TCPP01-M12 embeeds DB then process to reach 20V negotiation can be archived.

3- CCxDB connection to CCx lines is mandatory to activate by HW DB on STM32. TCPP01-M12 embeeds DB. This short is useless with TCPP01-M12. 2 STM32G0 PIN can be saved.