Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile a motor which is not in the Workbench Motors Tab

Gary_Baldy
Associate II

Hello,

Introduction

I would like to profile a motor which is not in the motors tab in MC Workbench. I have done some Googling and reviewed the ST documentation (STM32 Motor Control SDK > Motor Profiler Application Note) but have not found the solution to my problem.

Problem Description

Because the motor I'm using is not provided in an ST development pack I did the following:

New Project > Modular > 1 Motor > FOC > Next

My motor is not in the list so I click next to select the power board (IHM08M1) and control board (F302R8). That's as far as I can get because without selecting a motor I can't create the project and generate code.

The motor I want to profile is a Dualsky XM4240CA-12 (11.1V, 850 kV). It's an ordinary brushless outrunner.

How can I do this?

The hardware and software I'm using are:

Hardware:

Control Board:Nucleo F302R8

Power Board: IHM08M1

Motor: Dualsky XM4240CA-12 (11.1V, 850 kV)

Software:

MC Workbench 6.2.1

9 REPLIES 9
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello Gary_Baldy,

You can find more information on how to use the Motor Profiler on our documentation (via Motor Pilot -> Help -> Profiler Documentation)
However, I can already tell you that the Motor Profiler feature has to be enabled via WorkBench in the Application Configuration tab. That way, the generated project will be recognized as a Profiler firmware by the MotorPilot, and you will be able to get your motor's parameters.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

Hi Gael,

Many thanks for your reply!

I totally agree that the motor profiler feature needs to be enabled. However in order to be enabled it is necessary to define the motor, power board and control board by creating a new project in MC Workbench. I can't create a new project because I can't specify the motor since it's not on the list of motors provided. If this explanation is not clear to you let me know and I'll reply with screenshots.

Gary

Hello @Gary_Baldy,

Workbench requires a motor but when profiler is selected, you can used any available one.

If you agree with the answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.
Best regards.
GMA

Hi Gael and GMA,

Thanks for your help guys! But I think we may have some confusion about my problem and/or my software is not working the way you think. I have included many photos to show my hardware setup and screenshots to show what is happening with the software. Please take a look at them - they have self explanatory titles.

@GMA in Gaels response to my original posting he says "However, I can already tell you that the Motor Profiler feature has to be enabled via WorkBench in the Application Configuration tab. That way, the generated project will be recognized as a Profiler firmware by the MotorPilot, and you will be able to get your motor's parameters." and in your reply it seems like you're saying that the motor profiler can be used without previously creating a new project "...but when profiler is selected, you can used any available one"? I have previously used the MC Workbench and motor profiler with the F302R8 + IHM07M1 + Bull Running BR2804 1700kV motor which is an ST development pack (P-NUCLEO-IHM002). This was easy to setup in MC Workbench by selecting 'Pack' when creating a new project. The motor, control board and power board were all specified when the P-NUCLEO-IHM002 pack was selected. Then in the new project I was able to use the 'Application Configuration' tab to select motor profiler. It's my understanding that an MC workbench project must be created before using the profiler. I think this is necessary because the MC Workbench project is what generates the motor control firmware which is compiled and flashed to the control board with STM32CubeIDE. Am I correct that this is the correct procedure: 1) Create project 2) Select profiler in 'Application COnfiguration' 3) Compile and flash to microcontroller 4) Open motor profiler?

If that is the correct procedure then it takes us back to the problem in my original post - which is that I cannot create an MC workbench project because I can't select a motor from New Project > General Info > Modular (see screenshot 3).

Btw screenshot 9 shows the ST documentation I've used to try and solve this - just in case you might be concerned that I haven't made a reasonable effort to fix this before asking for help!

Gary

(I see that only 3 attachment are allowed - I'll put the other photo's/screenshots in separate replies)

Hello @Gary_Baldy,

Sorry I am a little bit confused...
Firstly, using motor control workbench, you have to generate a project with your boards IHM08M1 + F302R8 + an available motor and "Application Configuration">"Motor profiler" selected. 
Compile and flash to microcontroller. Open motor profiler (your used boards will be displayed) and start profiling with your Dualsky XM4240CA-12 motor connected.

Once Profiling ends, you have to save the motor profiling result:

GMA_0-1721634150926.png

The profiling result is saved in a ".json" file in "~\.st_workbench\hardware\motor" directory and will be available when you will generate your working project.

If you agree with the answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.
Best regards.
GMA

Hi GMA,

Thanks for your reply.

When you say "IHM08M1 + F302R8 + an available motor" does this mean I can pick any motor from the list on the motor tab in 'New Project'? - see attached screenshot.

Best regards,

Gary

GMA
ST Employee

Hello @Gary_Baldy,

Select a motor that has the electrical characteristics closest to yours.

Best regards.
GMA