cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with MC workbench and hardware for field-oriented BLDC torque control

Pziel.1
Associate

I want to control a BLDC motor. 

Why can't I choose BLDC type in MC workbench? There are two PMSMs motor types available to pick.

Does anyone know if the set (X-NUCLEO-IHM07M1 and NUCLEO-L476RG) would be enough to control this motor?

(https://uav-en.tmotor.com/html/2018/GB_0402/34.html)

We want to use quadrature encoder and torque control by FOC method. 

Any help would be great

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello,

BLDC motors are characterized by a trapezoidal BEMF. This is by construction. The most appropriate driving method is 6 Steps.

The MC Workbench focused on FOC method and apply a sinusoidal voltage which is perfectly aligned with PMSM motor requirements.

In reality, we often test both types of motor with FOC algo successfully. But it explains why the MC Workbench uses PMSM.

We are building a new workbench version that will provide the 6steps algo at the same level of maturity than the FOC.

Regarding your second point, I did not find any electrical parameters of your motor reference.

The most important point are Vbus voltage, Nominal current and power. If those characteristics feet with IHM07, then it is Ok.

Cedric

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello,

BLDC motors are characterized by a trapezoidal BEMF. This is by construction. The most appropriate driving method is 6 Steps.

The MC Workbench focused on FOC method and apply a sinusoidal voltage which is perfectly aligned with PMSM motor requirements.

In reality, we often test both types of motor with FOC algo successfully. But it explains why the MC Workbench uses PMSM.

We are building a new workbench version that will provide the 6steps algo at the same level of maturity than the FOC.

Regarding your second point, I did not find any electrical parameters of your motor reference.

The most important point are Vbus voltage, Nominal current and power. If those characteristics feet with IHM07, then it is Ok.

Cedric

Pziel.1
Associate

Thanks for your reply ​

Okay, so you're saying that if I recognize my motor with a motor profiler and then use mc workbench (FOC) with BLDC it should also work?

cedric H
ST Employee

Yes. It is exactly what I mean. Be sure that the power range of your power board matches your motor.

Cedric