cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor control workbench 6.1.0 custom board creation

lantiati
Associate II

Is there any user guide regarding custom board creation in MC workbench 6.1.0? I can start from the X-NUCLEO-IHM05M1 board, but I have to change the HALL sensor input from TIM2 to TIM3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello everyone,

I regret to inform you that there is currently no guide on how to use the board manager in order to create some custom boards. However, we are working on a documentation that you will be able to find on the wiki shortly. It will describe the board description format in its globality.

Thank you for your patience,
Gaël A.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Yaël Boutreux
Associate II

Same issue here. Motor control workbench offer the possibility to create a JSON file to add custom boards, but neither a JSON API documentation nor a configuration GUI is given.

An existing configuration is 300+ lines of JSON.

The issue is also reported by a third user.

This feature is not usable until one of the two solutions is given.

MMcMa.1
Associate II

It would be nice if ST would respond to this question.

Gael A
ST Employee

Hello everyone,

I regret to inform you that there is currently no guide on how to use the board manager in order to create some custom boards. However, we are working on a documentation that you will be able to find on the wiki shortly. It will describe the board description format in its globality.

Thank you for your patience,
Gaël A.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
Peter Lissenburg
Associate III

Thank you Gael, the MC workbench is great to work with ST's dev kits, but without more detail on what it needs and it's doing with that data, it's very difficult to take it further than dev kits.

I look forward to the wiki update.

Thank you for your assistance.

P

Hello,

I would like to follow up on this, is there an estimated release date for the board description files? It seems like the documentation has been in the works for a very long time. Here is a post from April 6th 2022 also stating that the documentation would be available on the Wiki shortly. Solved: how to change motor and power board configuration ... - STMicroelectronics Community

The software suite is not entirely useful without support for user boards, and the documentation to explain it.

I have to agree... what exactly is the point of the whole thing if it's only really usable with the dev kits? From what I've seen it looks like the version 6 release was a massive step backwards in usefulness. At least from what I've seen version 5 allowed you to modify the design with much more flexibility.

What I expected to able to do was select the processor (G431 in my case) and peripheral assignment (specific timers, comparators etc) for driving one or two brushless motors... 

For everyone still looking for the documentation on how to create custom board configurations, the Wiki documentation appears to have been updated.

STM32MotorControl:Motor Control Boards Description - stm32mcu

Yaël Boutreux
Associate II

Thank you @rjack for the link, another update,
Feedback from a webinar around STM32 Motor Control Software where I asked questions about documentation of custom boards design, in addition to this documentation (which I haven't reviewed yet), a GUI for custom board design (called Boards Designer) is said to be on its way.