cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to migrate project from one device to another using STM32CubeIDE or STM32CubeMX?

Kenji1
Senior

Hi All.

I using MCSDK.

And I want migrate the project that out Motor Control Workbench or Motor Profiler to another device project using STM32CubeMX or STM32CubeIDE.

Does anyone know how to do this, or documents for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Osto
Senior

Dear Kenji,

You can only go in CubeMx or CubeIDE to IOC configuration then in Pinout & configuration/Pinout/List Pinout compatible MCU (ALT-L) , the Cube show possible CPUs and you can select one of them. When you choose one of the MCUs then all possible values will updated to the new MCU.

In the same menu you can export pinout with Alt-functions. This produce a CSV file but I dont know how to import them. Maybe somebody has experience in Import it.

Osto

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TDK
Guru

There is no easy or built-in way to do this. Create a new project and copy/paste all the user code.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Osto
Senior

Dear Kenji,

You can only go in CubeMx or CubeIDE to IOC configuration then in Pinout & configuration/Pinout/List Pinout compatible MCU (ALT-L) , the Cube show possible CPUs and you can select one of them. When you choose one of the MCUs then all possible values will updated to the new MCU.

In the same menu you can export pinout with Alt-functions. This produce a CSV file but I dont know how to import them. Maybe somebody has experience in Import it.

Osto

TDK-san and Osto-san

Hi.

It seems difficult to do in built-in way. Thanks.

DRums.1
Associate II

Hi Guys. I try to mirgate a Project in CubeMX, based on the STM32F401CE controller to the STM32F401CC controller.

CubeIDE: Version: 1.8.0 Build: 11526_20211125_0815 (UTC)

CubeMX: version: 6.4.0.202111222105

I tried to open the IOC file in CibeIDE, go to Pinout -> List pincompatible MCUs

From the UM1718 (CubeMX documentation), I expected an "ok Import" button. In the window named "pinout compatible dialog".

Looking at my, cubeIDE output, it lists the compatibel MCUs but I cannot choose any to generate a new project.

0693W00000HrHjRQAV.pngIs it essential to install CubeMX to do the migration or should this also work in CubeIDE? If so, how?

Many thanks for your help

TDK
Guru

I stand by my original statement.

Projects created in STM32CubeIDE cannot be migrated in any automated fashion. Projects created in CubeMX can, sort of, but user code is lost in translation.

https://community.st.com/s/article/mcu1-to-mcu2-migration-option-within-stm32cubeide

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
DRums.1
Associate II

Ok. I did it, as suggested. I auto generated the CubeMX settings as describe by Osto, above. Then I manually copied all source files, as TDK suggests. BUT:

In my case, CubeMX code generation did not import the clock settings correctly! Most of the settings were imported but not the PLL source Mux (to HSE) and the system clock Mux (to PLLCLK). Have a look at those settings, when you import a project like this.

Osto
Senior

Hi,

Try to do the same with CubeMx instead of CubeIDE. CubeMx is in my opinion more relaible than CubeIDE.

The best but most time intensive way is to enter all values in a new project of the new MCU. So you are not limited with possibilities of the tool but on MCUs with big pincount or very complicated projects, this could be very time intensive.

Hey TDK,

I know a lot of time has pasted since you answered this question but the best way to migrate from a family of MCU to another is to create a new project with the new mcu family and copy paste all the files and configure the pins as required ?