cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IHM17M1 For Motor profiler can't profile known motor

GustavEckerbom
Associate II

Hello! I'm trying to configure the following setup to run the motor profiler in order to characterize a set of small/low-power BLDC motors. 

Configuration:
I'm using MCWB 6.21

Control board: Nucleo F401RE in the following configuration:
JP5 at U5V,
JP1 OFF,
JP6 ON.

Powerstage IHM17M1:
JP6 and JP5 are bridged (shorted),
JP3 and JP4 are both bridged/shorted from "middle pin to 3sh."

To make sure that the profiler works at all, I am trying to use the Bull Running BR2804-1700kv when configuring the project in the MCWB and start by profiling that motor. The resulting project is very similar to the one generated by the pre-configured package IHM002. After checking the "motor profiler" under application configuration and generating the code, I get very strange behavior from the Motor Profiler.

Problematic Behaviour:

After pressing "start profiling," D13 and D11 on IHM17M1 light up continuously while D12 is off for. The LED's dips in intensity before turning off completely - and then nothing else happens until I get the error "the measurement is taking too time" and the suggestion to change the motor max speed. The motor parameters are not the issue for sure, as the parameters are known. There are no errors generated, which complicates troubleshooting.

I have appended a short video on the what happens as I launch the profiler, perhaps someone has had a similar issue. The video is on youtube: https://youtube.com/shorts/AIXBg86RHH0?feature=share

After edit:
Additionally I've uploaded the stwb6 configuration for reference:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AOVDi6sdXMMPho9IscoAqq45YDbdqG65/view?usp=drive_link

Comment:
Also I got the testcode for 6-step example code running for the full setup with a different jumper configuration. So I belive there are no hardware failures, although it could still be as the FOC and 6-step are using slightly different hardware resources on the evaluation board.

Question:
- Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could move forward?
- Is there something regarding compatability for the FOC/motorprofiler that I have missed and that this setup is not supported or similar?

Best regards,

Gustav Eckerbom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello Gustav,

Have you tried to lower the PWM Frequency to 20kHz for example ? Please be aware that reducing the Max Speed as said by the Profiler might also be a good idea, even if the motor's speed is known, as it will affect the start-up parameters used by Profiler, and will not tamper with the constants computations. Maximum speed can then be manually updated afterwards. If you have doubts concerning your hardware configuration, I advise you to create a project using the Open Loop feature (be careful, it is incompatible with Profiler) to check if your signals are correct. You can find an Open Loop Guideline in the User Manual.

Also know that MCSDK v6.2.1 has issues concerning Profiling for IHM17 specifically, so I highly recommend you to download our latest MCSDK (v6.3).

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello Gustav,

Have you tried to lower the PWM Frequency to 20kHz for example ? Please be aware that reducing the Max Speed as said by the Profiler might also be a good idea, even if the motor's speed is known, as it will affect the start-up parameters used by Profiler, and will not tamper with the constants computations. Maximum speed can then be manually updated afterwards. If you have doubts concerning your hardware configuration, I advise you to create a project using the Open Loop feature (be careful, it is incompatible with Profiler) to check if your signals are correct. You can find an Open Loop Guideline in the User Manual.

Also know that MCSDK v6.2.1 has issues concerning Profiling for IHM17 specifically, so I highly recommend you to download our latest MCSDK (v6.3).

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
GustavEckerbom
Associate II

Thank you for your reply!

I downloaded the latest version of the SDK (v6.3) and regenerated the project, which did the trick.

Best regards,

Gustav Eckerbom