cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between modes Enabled, Six-Step, and Induction in STM32CubeMX?

Dane._.T
Associate II

What is the difference between modes Enabled, Six-Step, and Induction in STM32CubeMX?

Documentation is lacking

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fred V.
ST Employee

Hello,

Enabled stands for FOC (Field Oriented Control). The name is confusing and should be changed. It dates back from the time when the only supported drive technique was FOC. When Enabled is active, the Motor Control Middleware is configured to drive a PMSM motor with the FOC technique.

The SixStep mode is active when the Motor Control Middleware is configured to drive a motor using the Six Step technique

The Induction mode is active when the Motor Control Middleware is configured to drive an asynchronous motor.

Only one of these modes can be active at any time. The active mode must not be changed from within STM32CubeMx as it would result in the generation of a not working project.

To configure the Motor Control Middleware, use the Motor Control Workbench delivered with ST Motor Control SDK (X-CUBE-MCSDK).

I hope it'll help.

Best regards

Fred

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fred V.
ST Employee

Hello,

Enabled stands for FOC (Field Oriented Control). The name is confusing and should be changed. It dates back from the time when the only supported drive technique was FOC. When Enabled is active, the Motor Control Middleware is configured to drive a PMSM motor with the FOC technique.

The SixStep mode is active when the Motor Control Middleware is configured to drive a motor using the Six Step technique

The Induction mode is active when the Motor Control Middleware is configured to drive an asynchronous motor.

Only one of these modes can be active at any time. The active mode must not be changed from within STM32CubeMx as it would result in the generation of a not working project.

To configure the Motor Control Middleware, use the Motor Control Workbench delivered with ST Motor Control SDK (X-CUBE-MCSDK).

I hope it'll help.

Best regards

Fred

Dane._.T
Associate II

[mistake]

Thanks for the explanation!

Unfortunately, I cannot get MCSDK to generate the Middleware with the Induction option, as it either does not appear (v. 6.0.0) or it fails to generate pwm_curr_fdbk.c properly (v. 5.Y.4). The other two generate fine and can run my setups. From what I've seen so far, Induction seems to be newer and is only supported in 5.Y.x.

Fred V.
ST Employee

You're welcome.

Indeed, Induction motors are not fully supported yet. In MCSDK 5.Y.*, they are only supported through one example that works one hardware configuration. On MCSDK 6, the support for these motors has not been reintroduced yet. It ill be, but I cannot tell when.

The ACIM example is broken on MCSDK 5.Y.4. But, it should work with MCSDK 5.Y.3, the previous version which is still available (under the label 5.5.3 on ST.com).

I hope this will help you.

In that case sir @Fred V.​ , can you please explain why isn't it replaced till now and left for users to be confused​ ?