cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to STEVAL-ESC001V1

CSzat
Associate II

Exactly how does one connect the "Motor Profiler" to an out-of-the-box STEVAL-ESC001V1?

I read all of the available documentation to no avail. Is the STLink USB hardware device required and does it need to be connected to the J4 "SWD" port?

One section of the documentation [UM2197] "implies" that a 3.3V USB-to_TTL serial connection to the J2 "UART" connector would work:

UART/I²C port (J2): normally used for serial communication between the ESC board and a PC; ST MC Workbench can be connected with the STM32, adding an external circuit (requires USB/RS232 converter-3v3 level)

.... but when the Motor Profiler is connected in this manner, I always receive a "No STLink Detected" error from the ST-Link CLI v2.4.0 from the Motor Profiler software.

Thanks for your help,

16 REPLIES 16

Hi!

Have you found the solution? I have the same problem.

Hello @fpaga.1​ ,

What is your problem exactly ?

I just checked the user manual of the board available here.

Page 10 you have a clear description of how to connect the STLink.

If you do not have a standalone STLink, you can always use one of any Nucleo board and connect the required wires (SWDIO and SWCLK) Be sure that your MCU is powered (MCU VDD & GND ). The connection of the SLink from a Nucleo require the removal of two jumpers to not flash the MCU of the Nucleo itself.

Regarding the UART, it is described page 7.

To run the profiler, you need the both connections, The STLink to be able to flash the profiler binary, and the UART to allow the profiler tool to command the motor and read the profiled values.

Let me know if there are still fuzzy area.

Regards

Cedric

Hi,

I want to connect my STEVAL-esc001V1 to use motor profile, but I receive this error:

I have done everything (connecting SWD with Stlink/V2, UART with USB/RS323, install the correct drives and firmware...). ¿Would the problem be the configuration of ports of my PC?

However, the board is detected by Stm32CubeMX and St-link Utility.

Regards

Curro0693W00000JMiYMQA1.png

DCyr
Associate III

We were able to communicate with the 1V1, plus 3 other ST evaluation boards, to drive the motor with varying degrees of success, however, there was no documentation about the communication protocol between the ST GUI and the eval boards. So, you can spin your motor with the GUI, but they won't divulge the GUI code and without the commands to drive the eval boards, it was impossible to drive the motor from a user program. Given ST refused to release the information, our "soultion" was to drop ST products altogether!

Hi,

Also, I have tried to connect the board on ST MOTOR WORKBENCH but it show me the message:

Regards

Francisco0693W00000JMj56QAD.png

Your problem comes from the UART connection between your PC and the board.

The workbench from the 5.4 series must be able to connect to a board flashed with the motor profiler binary which is your case.

Have you already used your dongle with an other board ?

Are you sure that your PC COM port number is the correct one ?

You have to check your hardware connections (try to swap RX and TX wires), the baudrate must be 115200, your software must be alive (not break in your debugger), be sure that your COM port is not already in use, (by the profiler or another tool).

From now that is all the ideas I have !

Hope it helps

Regards.

Cedric.

Hi, 

I can't configure the hardware connections in the workbech and in the motor profiler, in which ST program should I configure those parameters before opening the profiler?

Regards

Francisco