cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone tell me what T-noise and T-rise are in the Current Sensing block of the Motor Control Workbench?

SCrum.1
Associate III

I am using the IHM17M1 power board which is not supported out of the box. I have it working quite well by configuring it as a custom board.

However I don't know how to set the t-rise and t-noise values. I can't find any reference to them in the documentation.

I also note the current sensing seems a little noisier that I think it should be, so wondered if these settings could have an effect.

Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
GMA
ST Employee

For short description: on ST Motor Control Workbench, click on "Documentation", select Firmware documentation and go to "Definition of noise parameters".

Rise time for IHM17M1:

Low voltage three phase and three sense motor driver (st.com)

On firmware side, sampling value will use max(trise, tnoise)

If you agree with the answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.
Best regards.
GMA
SCrum.1
Associate III

Thanks. I can see it now. Seems there is a trade off between reducing noise but also maximizing the time that all 3 currents can be measured. i.e. allowing more settling time will reduce noise in the current measurement, but increase the chance that Dmin is greater than the time between the switching points in the different phases.

GMA
ST Employee

You are right.

If you agree with the answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.
Best regards.
GMA
GMA
ST Employee

Checking a Workbench generated use case with a IHM07, values are T-rise = =T-noise=700ns.

According to IHM07/L6230 document, 700ns correspond to ~tD(ON)EN+tRISE.

In your case: ~ 125ns+10ns

Best regards.
GMA
SCrum.1
Associate III

Thanks. These values are quite different than the ones I was using (1000ns). However they don't make any difference to the current noise.

I suspect the noise is just because the current sense resistor value of 0.1 ohm. Plus the amplifier gain of just 1.53, is giving a full range current measurement capability of >10A. The power board and STSPIN233 device is only capable of 1.3A, and with the motor I am using, the max current is about 0.5A, though typically running at 0.1A. So we're only using a small range of the ADC. So I suspect the noise is just ADC noise and a small signal to noise ratio.

Do my values of 1.53 amplifier gain and 10A measurement range seem correct for that board?

I think upping the amplifier gain would be best solution here.

GMA
ST Employee

If you open a ST Motor Control workbench and go to "current sensing" box, set "Shunt resistor value" and click on "Calculate". Modifying current or Rshunt value, it computes directly the output dynamic (Min Vout / Max Vout). If you can change physically the Rshunt, you can verify the resulting dynamic.

0693W00000Ka5nFQAR.png

Best regards.
GMA
SCrum.1
Associate III

Thanks again.

Doing some more digging I think something else is going on with the current. I currently have the motor fixed so it does not rotate. If I run it in torque control mode and slowly ramp up the torque demand you can see the measure current increasing as you expect. It has some noise on it but not too bad (1st image). However, once you reach a certain point it get huge amounts of noise on it, as in the second image.0693W00000Ka8vRQAR.png0693W00000Ka8vbQAB.pngthe I_A current is just about straight off the ADC I think. However this looks like a measurement error rather than what is really going on in the hardware. Any ideas what this could be?

Just a further note, I am running this in 3 shunt mode. This issue seems to relate to current sampling when as the PWM pulse on time becomes very long as measured on the IN1,2 3 inputs on the power board. I'm guessing the current is measured in the off time and something is going wrong as this period becomes very narrow. Again I'm not sure what influence tRise is having here as all the references to it in the documentation are related to the single shunt operation.

GMA
ST Employee

You can check "Current sampling in three-shunt topology using two A/D converters" chapter on "STM32 motor control SDK5.x Firmware" document.

Timing parameters parameters as Trise ensure that you are sampling during stabilized current position. Did you verify the Min Dead Time value?

Best regards.
GMA