cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NUCLEO-U5A5ZJ-Q SPI with GPDMA - no more SPI access afterwards?

Jack3
Senior II

Hello, STM32 Developers/STM32 Enthusiasts!

I got a NUCLEO-U5A5ZJ-Q and tried using SPI with GPDMA to drive an SSD1309 OLED display, which works fine without DMA.

On this device we use GPDMA, which is new to me.

I managed to successfully transfer the first 128 bytes using GPDMA, displaying the first page on the OLED screen.

And I saw the interrupts of the half-transfer and full-transfer complete using a logic analyzer, by toggling an IO pin.

Next, I want to send a few command bytes to the OLED display, before sending the next 128 bytes through a DMA transfer. However, the SPI transfer fails after the DMA transfer is completed. I think HAL didn't completely clean up the transfer.

So I'll have to omit using DMA on the STM32U5A5 MCU as it doesn't work well with GPDMA yet.

The problem could be between the chair and the keyboard, but I have not found the problem.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing non-DMA SPI access to fail after doing a GPDMA transfer with it? In the meantime I'll dive into the documentation and will update if I've found the culprit.

Also I need to check out this:

https://community.st.com/s/global-search/GPDMA

Yes.

The issue was with HAL drivers (stm32u5xx_hal_dac.c).

In the file stm32u5xx_hal_dac.c on line number 869 we have function HAL_delay(1);

We need excepting HAL_delay(1) from the code and callbacks start working and SysTick_Handler() isn't stuck.

I think it's a bug of the drivers and developers will fix it.

/* Process Unlocked */

__HAL_UNLOCK(hdac);

if (status == HAL_OK)

{

/* Enable the Peripheral */

__HAL_DAC_ENABLE(hdac, Channel);

/* Ensure minimum wait before using peripheral after enabling it */

HAL_Delay(1);

}

else

{

hdac->ErrorCode |= HAL_DAC_ERROR_DMA;

}

/* Return function status */

return status;

}

1 REPLY 1
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @Jack​ ,

First let me thank you for posting.

The issue in stm32u5xx_hal_dac.c file is already fixed in STM32Cube_FW_U5_V1.2.0 version.

Could you please try to use the last firmware version and let me know if the problem is solved.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.